Thread: How launch Ubuntu desktop ?

Beans

Question How launch Ubuntu desktop ?

I am new to this. I can SSH into the Linux prompt. Ti used the commands below to install the Ubuntu desktop.. They ran to completion. What do I do now to use the desktop? Can I do this from the command prompt provided by SSH?

sudo apt_get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop.

Will I be able to use a browser on the desktop to download the install files for PHP, Apache and MySql?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How launch Unbuntu desktop ?

Reread your question. I had assumed you were using ssh from 1 computer (unknown OS) to remote shell into some other computer either across the room, across the town or across the world. Continue reading if that is true.
    OTOH, if you used ssh to connect to ssh on the same PC, it is only academically interesting, not really useful for day-to-day stuff.

ssh provides a text interface. It is possible to have ssh setup a "tunnel" for a GUI to run, but that doesn't remove the need for the computer you sit behind to provide an appropriate "GUI Server". Also - the default Ubuntu Desktop doesn't work over remote GUI sessions. You need to use something that doesn't need a 3d accelerated GPU.

http://blog.jdpfu.com/2010/09/07/run...e-applications tries to explain the different ways to accomplish what you are asking.

The short answer is to use x2go with LXDE (not unity). Install it using the x2go PPA following those instructions.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 10th, 2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: How

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How launch Unbuntu desktop ?

Ordinarily to switch from one interface to another, you can log out and choose a session when you log in.