Thread: Ubuntu to Ubuntu Network Sharing

Beans

Ubuntu to Ubuntu Network Sharing

Hi guys, I have ssh (SFTP I guess?) setup between my two Ubuntu desktops. For ease of explanation, my first desktop is computer A and the second is B. My problem:

I can connect to computer B from computer A using the saved sftp command (under Connect to Server in file browser) specifying it's hostname and user login. It works every time. I used to be able to do the same from computer B to computer A. I updated the hostname of computer A by editing the /etc/hosts and the /etc/hostname files properly. Afterwards, the connection from B to A using A's hostname only worked part of the time (just times out). Now it never works and I am only able to connect to A from B if I manually look up A's IP address. Obviously this is pretty annoying. How can I fix this? Thanks!
    Last edited by roten-ben; October 8th, 2015 at 06:21 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu to Ubuntu Network Sharing

You could set the machine a static IP address ?

Beans

All Linux, OSX, and now Win10 machines can use a ".local" domain qualifier on their host names to connect within a LAN so you might want to try that.

Instead of specifying MachineA use MachineA.local

The only requirement is that avahi-daemon is running and it's port ( 5353 ) is open.

Beans

Avahi-daemon did not work, I'll try setting a static IP. If anyone else has any ideas how to get the original hostname method working let me know!
    Last edited by roten-ben; October 8th, 2015 at 02:39 PM.

Beans

Avahi-daemon did not work
    I don't know what that means.

You checked to see if avahi-daemon is running on both machines:
    Code:
    sudo service avahi-daemon status
    And if they weren't stated it:
    Code:
    sudo service avahi-daemon start
    Made sure that at least it's port was open at 5353 as well as the ssh port of course..

And it wouldn't connect?