Thread: How to get minitube to work

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

How to get minitube to work

Hi,

I installed minitube from the respositories but it does not work. It won't play videos, I just get a black screen. So I found this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/67250...n-ubuntu-15-04

As advised I obtained my API key, and first tried Method 2. This produced no change in behaviour.

I next tried Method 1. This proceeded until I got a message saying "Now heading over to Google" on which a browser opened with my Google projects page open. No instructions on what I am meant to do. No further progress on terminal, even after 20 minute wait.

Lastly, I tried Method 3 and got a qt error. I saw then that minitube requires qt5, while I had qt4. I installed qt5 from the repos, tried again, same result. I notice I still have qt4 installed as well as qt5. Could that be a problem? How can I remove qt4?

Has anybody here successfully got minitube working on 14.04? If so, what method did you use? Any ideas about what might be my problem?

Many thanks.

Beans

Re: How to get minitube to work

Try Minitube 2.4

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks for the interest. I've tried 2.4 and 2.5. No luck. The problem has gone through various incarnations, none of them good. The current state of play is described here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

My setup is a bit different from yours, I'm running 16.04/64bit. So here's what happen.

I loaded minitube from the software center and it was broke out of the box.

So I went to the minitube site and loaded the same version and it worked out of the box.

If you want to try this, first remove the current install and then download from the site.

http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

I used gdebi to install it. This can be installed with the terminal command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdebi

Beans

Newer versions of SMTube work well enough, perhaps try this?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks, I had tried that and it didn't work. I am aware that minitube works with other versions of Ubuntu. But has anybody got it working with 14.04?

Quote Originally Posted by v3.xx View Post
    My setup is a bit different from yours, I'm running 16.04/64bit. So here's what happen.

I loaded minitube from the software center and it was broke out of the box.

So I went to the minitube site and loaded the same version and it worked out of the box.

If you want to try this, first remove the current install and then download from the site.

http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

I used gdebi to install it. This can be installed with the terminal command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdebi

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Newer versions of SMTube work well enough, perhaps try this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rdh61 View Post
    Thanks, I had tried that and it didn't work. I am aware that minitube works with other versions of Ubuntu. But has anybody got it working with 14.04?
    installs & works ok here on 14.04, see screen. Just use software-center or gdebi to install it & whatever dep packages it needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Four weeks ago, as per my original message, the version installed with Synaptic did not work. But now it does. They must have upgraded it. Thanks for stimulating me to try again. I'm marking the thread solved.

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    installs & works ok here on 14.04, see screen. Just use software-center or gdebi to install it & whatever dep packages it needs.