Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My idea for a perfect gaming machine

Beans

Re: My idea for a perfect gaming machine

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Yeah, this is the best bet. Just make sure Windows is the host, and Linux is in the VM. As far as I know, the virtual GPUs and hardware still sucks and wouldn't be good for gaming.

All this talk is making me want to slap Linux in a VM again. I don't like taking the time to dual boot, but I might screw around with VMs again.
    Umm yeah I wouldn't even consider running Windows in a VM on linux unless it is to play something like Diablo 2 or some other 2D game. I'm going to be giving the windows host 900+ GB of my 1 TB HDD and use a 40 GB Linux VM. Reason for that amount of space is I'm going to be putting my music on there and I'm going to install a couple of 2D Linux games like Flare and Micropolis. Would really like to install Abuse as well but they seem to have removed that from the repos on all non 12.04 distros. That's not too much of a big deal because I can always use DosBox for that or my Linux Mint 13 XFCE live usb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What I said is 100% true. I've used win 10 since before it came out. (Unfortunately,) I work with it every day. Unless they have released an update that is stopping the ridiculous restrictions, then it still holds true. Microsoft is known for going extreme, then backing away a bit to not look so bad (they can go farther than just starting with small steps). If it has been, I haven't come across it yet. I do hope they address all of them, though.

I have updated probably around 100 machines to windows 10.

I have had to finagle to get dozens to work with USB linux boot drives, or to add a Linux drive. (very similar process to how you now get to the new safe mode).

I have had to recover data from dozens of computers where the update process bricked the computer. I know Microsoft says that you're SOL, go buy another disc because I've had that conversation with them several times. They absolutely will not budge on it. You sign away your rights to damages (it's buried deep in one of the message you must accept to "upgrade"). I have "downgraded" numerous back to win 7.

Plus, read around. there are lots of things that are really bad about windows 10 beyond what I mentioned here. You lose key components, like media center, WMP, etc. Also, read your eula and google about data security. scary stuff. There are many examples.

Windows 10 has it's uses, but for the vast majority of people, I strongly recommend against it. My point is, though. Read around. Do your research. Don't just jump on a bandwagon. If it is good for you, go for it. Just make sure you have your recovery DVD's handy. If it isn't for you, then don't do it. The main reason I would see for a gamer to get windows 10 is if they have an AMD card or cards. Windows has locked the new DX to windows 10 (ugh), and it finally lets you use all that extra power that the old DX versions couldn't handle. They are getting pretty massive increases in framerates (granted, for titles specifically optimized for it). But that's only for AMD cards, as nVidia only made their cards as powerful as they could be under the old DX versions, so no power boost. (that is oversimplified of course) But yeah, that is a legitimate reason to go with windows 10. Free Frames/sec! Although, the same will be coming to Linux as well.

And, in general,, there is a $25 or so cost to the manufacturer for Windows OEM license keys. It varies with volume, of course- individually you can find them on newegg for under $100. They just make a bit more if they don't include it is all. There may be slightly more to do ensure compatibility with linux or other OSes to fill that gap, though.
    Last edited by Nixarter; October 6th, 2015 at 06:59 PM.
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thetri View Post
    Bought both my desktop and laptop from a local computer store and the price was the same with or without the included Windows 7 Home DVDs.
    Was Windows already pre-installed, or would it have been if you didn't get the DVD? That would still count as it coming in with the price of the computer.

Bought a desktop afterwards from Dell Canada's site and the OS section of the build your own PC said "+$0.00" when selecting Windows 7 or Ubuntu.
    Not sure about Dell in Canada, but here in the U.S., they only show price increases when it would be more than the already labelled price. There's also very little incentive for them to label the Ubuntu version a lower price and may even violate certain agreements they have, so that may be why they are the same price.

I also got a student version and professional version of Windows 7 free from my school along with Windows Server and Windows Embedded 8. So, getting Windows free legally is easy for me.
    OK, that I can believe. My school isn't quite as generous, but I can buy Windows for incredibly cheap.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    What I said is 100% true. I've used win 10 since before it came out. (Unfortunately,) I work with it every day. Unless they have released an update that is stopping the ridiculous restrictions, then it still holds true. Microsoft is known for going extreme, then backing away a bit to not look so bad (they can go farther than just starting with small steps). If it has been, I haven't come across it yet. I do hope they address all of them, though.
    I just have a completely different experience. I was a part of the Windows Insider program, too, and I've used it since the beta. I've never felt one bit restricted. And all of the privacy issues can very easily be turned off during the upgrade. It's a lot better OS than Win8 was.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What I said is 100% true. I've used win 10 since before it came out.
    I also used Windows 10 before it came out and install plenty of software I didn't have to go through Microsoft to install. I think it may have told me the sources were potentially dangerous (since they couldn't verify it through their own store), but I never had it prevent me from getting stuff outside of Microsoft sources. So I'm still not entirely sure what you were talking about with saying that they were making it "so you can only buy software through them."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@Thetri Don't listen to Nixarter, I'm not a fan of Windows 10 but it doesn't force you to use the app store. It's like Windows 8 built for desktops.

Beans

I have updated probably around 100 machines to windows 10.

I have had to finagle to get dozens to work with USB linux boot drives, or to add a Linux drive. (very similar process to how you now get to the new safe mode).

I have had to recover data from dozens of computers where the update process bricked the computer. I know Microsoft says that you're SOL, go buy another disc because I've had that conversation with them several times. They absolutely will not budge on it. You sign away your rights to damages (it's buried deep in one of the message you must accept to "upgrade"). I have "downgraded" numerous back to win 7.

Plus, read around. there are lots of things that are really bad about windows 10 beyond what I mentioned here. You lose key components, like media center, WMP, etc. Also, read your eula and google about data security. scary stuff. There are many examples.

Windows 10 has it's uses, but for the vast majority of people, I strongly recommend against it. My point is, though. Read around. Do your research. Don't just jump on a bandwagon. If it is good for you, go for it. Just make sure you have your recovery DVD's handy. If it isn't for you, then don't do it. The main reason I would see for a gamer to get windows 10 is if they have an AMD card or cards. Windows has locked the new DX to windows 10 (ugh), and it finally lets you use all that extra power that the old DX versions couldn't handle. They are getting pretty massive increases in framerates (granted, for titles specifically optimized for it). But that's only for AMD cards, as nVidia only made their cards as powerful as they could be under the old DX versions, so no power boost. (that is oversimplified of course) But yeah, that is a legitimate reason to go with windows 10. Free Frames/sec! Although, the same will be coming to Linux as well.

And, in general,, there is a $25 or so cost to the manufacturer for Windows OEM license keys. It varies with volume, of course- individually you can find them on newegg for under $100. They just make a bit more if they don't include it is all. There may be slightly more to do ensure compatibility with linux or other OSes to fill that gap, though.
    must be a troll

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mystics View Post
    Was Windows already pre-installed, or would it have been if you didn't get the DVD? That would still count as it coming in with the price of the computer.

Not sure about Dell in Canada, but here in the U.S., they only show price increases when it would be more than the already labelled price. There's also very little incentive for them to label the Ubuntu version a lower price and may even violate certain agreements they have, so that may be why they are the same price.

OK, that I can believe. My school isn't quite as generous, but I can buy Windows for incredibly cheap.
    It was just the computer store offering to give windows dvds with computers they sell as a bonus to make people want to buy from them, it wasn't preinstalled. My dell was the only one it was preinstalled but that was Vista and I removed that years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelb955 View Post
    @Thetri Don't listen to Nixarter, I'm not a fan of Windows 10 but it doesn't force you to use the app store. It's like Windows 8 built for desktops.
    Yeah, I'm well aware he is lying. I been using Windows 10 since preview builds.

Beans

yeah it is a bummer that linux doesn't game. in my case though i do (microsoft flight simulator x) and i am thinking of buying (x plane 10) because i have heard that it does run on linux so it is just a matter of what kind and how much i want to spend on (x plane 10) as it comes in different packages etc etc. yeah that is why i still run windows is for (flight simulator x).

yeah windows 10 isn't as bad as this guy posting is saying it is i have it and i just don't like how they rape my privacy and that is really my only complaint with it. my (flight simulator x) runs great on it and microsoft didn't force me to buy nothing. like i said i just don't like all the privacy intrusion that is why i won't use windows 10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    . like i said i just don't like all the privacy intrusion that is why i won't use windows 10.
    you can install a 3rd party app that will stop that. problem solved. search "ShutUp10"

just like with win8 or Unity lenses --- all the negativity and yet changes were so easy to make. win8 - install classic shell or wait for .1 release, Unity lenses - turn off the commercials.

aside from strange win8 default interface for desktop the OS is not that bad at all.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast