Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

SuSE vs. Ubuntu

I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now, I love it, I can easily edit my system to look and run however I like, install all my favorite apps, and configure a server and the rest of a network, however I also tried SuSE linux 10.1 for fun, It install most of what I wanted out of the box (java, flash, audio codecs, etc.) however I still don't know alot of the commands but this can easily be solved, I downloaded alot of the programs I wanted including the one that gave me huge problems on Ubuntu when I first started, Limewire, I know frostwire comes in a DEB pkg, but Limewire just seems to run better, I simply downloaded the RPM and installed, not at all dificult. But I can't really decide which I like more they're both great distros and I'd like to hear some oppinions of those in this community, reasons for why which might be "better" in what situation I think Ubuntu is probably the BEST looking Distro and most sensibly put together, however SuSE may be the most userfriendly (without being totally windblows like) YAST is a great tool.

any input is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
    Love running state of the art for free rather than a bad kde copy for hundreds, ONCE YOU GO PENGUIN NEVER WINDOWS AGAIN!

Beans

Re: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

hmmm thats a hard one I would have to say suse but that maybe a bad option considering I'm on a ubuntu forum.

and I don't think Suse is written like that anymore I have no idea anymore it keeps changing every couple weeks lol, make up your mind, you may want to try out su....I mean opensuse 10.2 when it comes out cause that is going to be a great project. I had a better experience on Suse but I didn't want to pay for the sled so I'm live disk jumping right now.

I just want to see some improvements to kde this time around cause they upgraded the hell out of gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On my computer it takes forever to open YAST. Maybe it is a great tool, but it just does not work very well for me. It is one perfect distro for a person terrified of command line. Just point and click. But I prefer Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I purchased SuSE 9.3 and ran it on one of my desktops for learning purposes back in early 2005. Since then I upgraded to 10.0 and more recently 10.1

During the same time I ran ubuntu on another partition and now have Dapper installed on my Lenovo laptop and one of my desktops.

I have gradually migrated to ubuntu after cutting my teeth on SuSE and earlier versions of ubuntu and now find I prefer the gnome desktop and ubuntu way of doing things.

I no longer run SuSE as I find it bloated. I was also frustrated with the 10.1 upgrade, even with a fresh install, and all the problems with the new update system - which didn't work when released (why release it?)

I think I am a lot more comfortable with linux now and maybe that is why I feel I can cut loose from SuS.. oops, OpenSuSE which is a nice distro for those abandoning Windows for the first time.

IMHO

wolf
    Linux user 394816 / Ubuntu user 16154 Lenovo 3000 N100 Laptop :T2400(1.83GHz), 2GB RAM, 100GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1280x800 LCD, Intel 950, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, Bluetooth/Modem, 10/100 Realtek Ethernet, Fingerprint reader

Beans

This is of course going to be an opinion but I like the way Ubuntu is setup better. I like that the root account is disabled and I just sudo for everything. Really though it is mainly because I put alot of effort to get Ubuntu working the way I like it. I have a pretty good feel for the way things work with Debian/Ubuntu and SuSE is enough different I just doesn't "feel" right. I am generally impressed with SuSE. If Debian and Ubuntu disappeared I would most likely move to OpenSuSE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Both SuSE and Ubuntu are great distros; they are the two best desktop distros in my opinion.

As for differences, Ubuntu has better repositories (as a Debian derivative), and a far bigger and better community (and the support from there) - overall I prefer it. It seems a better OS for the computer enthusiast. However, SuSE is far more 'professional' or business-oriented. There are still too many things Ubuntu forces you to do from the command line, while SuSE has yast. SuSE also has good integration with the various Novell tools for enterprises.
    Last edited by kripkenstein; August 5th, 2006 at 09:38 AM.

rattlerviper Guest

Well I'm not going to say one is better than the other, but go to http://distrowatch.com/ and look at the Distro rankings. For a even more accurate idea of Ubuntu vs. Suse popularity add up Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu and compare that number to Suse. K/X/Ubuntu=3564 hits on distrowatch in the past 6 months. Suse=1933 hits in the past 6 months. 1631 more hits for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubutu than Suse! Maybe Ubuntu is more popular for a reason?
    I've used both, and my opinion is Suse is nice(but bloated)while Ubuntu is near perfect(for me).

Beans

I just loaded SUSE 10 and it gave me the choice of KDE or Gnome....it is great but I have to configure the DSL connection, printer and sound card.

also the bootloader doesn't work....

but this is the only distro I could get to install on this computer....but thats another story

If any body here is used to using SUSE and give me clues on how to enable my DSL, printer and sound card...please do or provide links...

also a link to their user forum would be great

rattlerviper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    I just loaded SUSE 10 and it gave me the choice of KDE or Gnome....it is great but I have to configure the DSL connection, printer and sound card.

also the bootloader doesn't work....

but this is the only distro I could get to install on this computer....but thats another story

If any body here is used to using SUSE and give me clues on how to enable my DSL, printer and sound card...please do or provide links...

also a link to their user forum would be great
    http://www.suseforums.net/
    Used to use Suse way back when, never could get it to use my cable modem, or print in any way other than weird chicken scratches(but that was a long long time ago). If you have a fast computer and like Yast it's wonderful. The current distro is just too bloadted and yast runs SOOOOO slowly on my computer I feel like poking myself in the eye for excitement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I tried SUSE 10.1, but even using GNOME on it I found it to be way too bloated. Ubuntu is just what I need. Plus this community is better than the suse community. Don't think I hated it though. I also think Ubuntu and SUSE are the two best distros.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast