Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Beans

Re: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Since YAST is too slow for me, anyways, I'll wait till 11.0 to see what has changed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

sorry to wake a sleeping thread, but i found this in a google search and figured i'd chime in.

long story short: suse has its place-- so does ubuntu.

in the enterprise world, suse (and redhat) are the only linux games in town. big vendors like polyserve/hp and quantum typically limit support to either rhel or suse, so if you're in IT you're going to be most familiar with these distros. subsequently, there's a big chance you're going to end up going with them on your lap/desktops.
    granted, this isn't always the case (i'm an example here-- we have 100+ rhel systems at work, but i run ubuntu on my own systems), but it is the case in many instances.

on the other hand, ubuntu > rhel/suse outside of corporate environments.
    there is a maaaasive home user base, and subsequently tons of user/newbie friendly walkthroughs, installers, big fat repositories, etc. out there for things that aren't enterprise related. using ubuntu at home is cake; aside from a robust out of the box hardware support and an easy to use, dependency solving package manager, i oftentimes find myself googling instead of thinking when i run into a speedbump on my ubuntu systems, as ubuntu related forums are so heavily used that almost every conceivable issue has a few discussions out there-- a luxury i rarely have when solving obscure issues at work.

i definitely vote for ubuntu in the "home place", and would love to see a step-up in enterprise vendor support for the server distro as well.
    Last edited by sp00ki; August 28th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Beans

Quite honestly, I find that SuSE tops on simplicity with YASt, as well as relitively detailed instructions. The down side of SuSE linux is that it's software tends to be rather bloated and it feels very Mac-like (a major downside for myself).

Ubuntu seems to be more compact, organised, and wonderful for anyone with computer experience. The main problem I see with Ubuntu is it has very little information on how to acctually do things. Somethings aren't well explained, and that is never good for any OS.

Put simply, I like both of them, it's all about what you're really looking for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like SuSE, but I can't use it.
    It has some startx error at bootup of the LiveCD. Plus, now it is too late since I have Velo to work with
    I don't blame you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried openSUSE 11 on my iMac Alu and I'll stick with it !
    This thread is about comparing so let's compare SUSE to Buntu :

SUSE 11 > Ubuntu 8.04 on Imac Aluminium. No doubt about this.

I tried openSUSE with Gnome desktop and I must say it detected all nicely, backlight dimming was working out of the box, like a LOT of other things. (like the keyboard).
    No need to applesmc, pommed, etc.

Seriously one would want to give it a try, on my machine it works perfectly (except some grub problems I went into but nothing unresolvable).
    Flood.fr, the neverending troll (french forum).

Beans

I tried OpenSUSE 11.0 KDE 4.0, and very impressed. It looks more professional, delicate than ubuntu. But some drivers for printer and webcam not work right for me, so will wait for next releases. One big drawback of SUSE is the install system. It doesnt have big repositories like ubuntu, and does not automatically install all dependencies. I think the SUSE developers will have to improve this feature in future. For now, im sticked with ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pxhai View Post
    One big drawback of SUSE is the install system. It doesnt have big repositories like ubuntu, and does not automatically install all dependencies. I think the SUSE developers will have to improve this feature in future. For now, im sticked with ubuntu.
    openSUSE has big repositories, not so big like Debian/Ubuntu... but there are also packages available in openSUSE that aren't available in Debian/Ubuntu (1).
    And it does automatically install all dependencies... has been mathematically demonstrated (2) that if there exist a solution ZYpp will find it, APT can't say the same (it is know that there are cases where it fails to find an existing solution).

(1) http://software.opensuse.org/search?....0&p=1&q=bsnes vs http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ll&section=all
    (2) http://pho.ucsd.edu/rjhala/papers/opium.pdf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think opensuse takes up to much resources and has way to much configuration needed.

Ubuntu for life.
    Last edited by Thricemin; October 16th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I switched to openSUSE 2 days ago. I prefer Ubuntu, but I had a problem with the temperature on my laptop when running Ubuntu.

Beans

SuSE vs. Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

A lot of people reference switching from KDE to Gnome as the big difference going between SuSE and Ubuntu, but what about Kubuntu? Where does that fit here?

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast