Thread: firewall that blocks outgoing traffic

Beans
    Hidden!

firewall that blocks outgoing traffic

Has anyone seen a simple to use/ setup firewall that uses a whitelist / blacklist to block traffic going out from a machine onto the net?
    Incoming appears well blocked via my router but a lot of mischief can come from outgoing traffic.

Beans

Re: firewall that blocks outgoing traffic

There's a discussion in the second half of this thread - but probably not a real answer to your question. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2294261

Beans
    Hidden!

I agree, it is not a real answer because it seems to suggest that all bogus output to the web is done under the guise of it being from another bonafide properly installed program.

A helpful approach would be traffic monitoring combined with lists of known doubtful addresses, similar to anti-spam software. Is there a semi intelligent traffic monitoring program suitable for a desktop machine?

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe this
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/25726...ic-in-terminal
    Just my opinion here but I really like iptraf

Last edited by QDR06VV9; September 21st, 2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add info

Beans
    Hidden!

Going down the suggestions in the referred to answers I was very impressed with the concept of nethogs. It has a big advantage in that it shows the originating process. I thought it was probably better than the other choices because it made it a lot easier to find the reason for the bandwidth use. I would appreciate your views.

Beans
    Hidden!

Before I do, Give iptraf a look. It is in synaptic.​Nethogs is an excellent Choice though.
    Maybe it is just me I really like the whole package very configurable with a few more options.
    But use what you think suits your needs the best.
    Kind Regards
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; September 21st, 2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add info

Beans

Plus perhaps edit hosts file to block some unwanted connections - there are examples for windows out there that I guess could be copied?

Beans
    Hidden!

I will give iptraf a look. Thank you. I think it will work well with Nethogs. Nethogs gives the process and iptraf gives the destination, both essential. Is it true that iptraf does not show the process that is producing the traffic? I am a bit surprised that none are showing both the process and the destination together in one screen .

I can also see a place for ifstat because that gives a simple warning that something is wrong and that could be followed up by the other programs!