Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: HOWTO: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - enabling special keys

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - enabling special keys

Quote Originally Posted by abid_naqvi83 View Post
    The Scroll Up key when pushed generates a keycode. It seems that the keycode is being "caught" by some other application and being converted in to a "TouchpadOff" signal before it can reach xev or xbindkeys.

I would suggest tracking down the application that is catching the scroll up keycode and fixing it there.
    Thanks for the response! I think you're right, but I can't seem to figure out what is intercepting that key. When I have .xbindkeysrc setup, I notice that the working scroll down key also gave the same unhelpful output for the xenv command as the scroll up key. However, when I rename .xbindkeysrc to something else (so to severe the binding), I can see scroll down giving me a nice KeyPress event detail:

KeyPress event, serial 41, synthetic NO, window 0x4600001,
    root 0x25b, subw 0x0, time 3513819, (393,387), root443,441),
    state 0x10, keycode 202 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I just can't seem to see this at all for scroll up. Is there any way for me to find out what keycode 201 is bind to and which app is creating that binding?

Beans

I can definitely see my scroll up key is bound to TouchpadOff. I just have no idea how that happened and how to make it stop!

Beans

I do not understand this, but now, everything suddenly works again!! I did multiple things, so I am not sure which one did it. I uninstalled synclient, which might actually be the key. In any event, both scroll up and down now works perfectly! Thanks, everyone!

Beans

Hi.

Im using Ubuntu 12.04 and after following exXplode's guide at http://blog.philippklaus.de/2012/05/...s-x-and-linux/ I finally managed to get some success, thou not completly.

Im still having problems with the "zoom-up"-button... In System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts the "zoom-up"-button is reffered to as "TouchpadOff" (althou this may not be a problem?) and the "zoom-down"-button is reffered to as 0xca (as it should, I asume?).

After every systemstartup I have to manually go into Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts, bind the "zoom-up"-button to any random shortcut and then remove the bind. After this has been done everything works as it should. If I do not do this, the system seem to interpret the "zoom-up"-button as some kind of invalid mouse-code of sorts. Ubuntu shows me a picture of what I asume is a mouse with an X-mark over it. One of the commenters on exXplode's guide seem to have had the same problem.

I guess one (easy?) solution to my problem could be to run some kind of bash-script on system startup that automatically goes into System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts, binds the "zoom-up"-button to something and then unbinds it.

Could this be done, and if so, could someone please write a script for me?

It will take a while for me until I learn bashscripting because I got other things I need to learn right now.

Also, why doesnt Ubuntu fix this bug/problem? Is it really that hard? I hear lots of people praising this keyboard (mostly geeks/programmers). Could it possibly have anything to do with the company behind the keyboard (M$) being the leading competitor to Ubuntu ? Conspiracy theories are great.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920