Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Ubuntu Phone don't become Popular

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why Ubuntu Phone don't become Popular

Quote Originally Posted by Ken UK View Post
    I.... unstable, slow at times, has bugs etc.
    No disagreement here - what also is true is that all of the above vary between the various devices - at any one moment, Meizu can be quite good, but BQ users battling some or the issue and visa versa.

Beans

Well, it is not finished, is it? Once it is finished (or close enough), and once it lives up to its billing (convergence etc.), I will certainly do my part in trying to promote and popularize it, by whatever means necessary.

Even if I can demonstrably convert only one single Android (*ugh*) user, any effort expended will have been more than worth it to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same than Firefox OS, it needs to go uphill against other more popular OS which are pre-installed. I don't think it will ever be very popular (just as Ubuntu on desktop), however I hope they gain some traction in the near future.

Beans

It's not taking off in the same way Windows phone isn't taking off, great platform, no apps. You need to be able to have everything users want ready to go or else they will hate it.

Beans

What i have learned, that Ubuntu Phone OS is very difficult to install, also does not all android devices, (supports only limited android devices)

- It should adopt the same strategy, as Tizen does it in one link with easy command, and Tizen is there on any xyz android device.
    - Also it should all / maximum android devices which do not disturb any quality of software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madnan-ahmad View Post
    What i have learned, that Ubuntu Phone OS is very difficult to install, also does not all android devices, (supports only limited android devices)

- It should adopt the same strategy, as Tizen does it in one link with easy command, and Tizen is there on any xyz android device.
    - Also it should all / maximum android devices which do not disturb any quality of software

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the OS is trying to be. It is not something for Android users to tinker with, if they choose to do so (and indeed most will never do so, because most will never replace their OS with another OS, period). It wants to be a genuine competitor to Android phones, which is why it has to focus on being the best possible OS on the phones on which it comes preinstalled. It really doesn't matter whether it can be installed on some random Android phone or not.

Beans

Because Ubuntu phone is new product released onto the market in 2015. Compared to competitors (Apple, Android and Window phone), there are many things to do to improve and perfect, ensuring a better experience for users.
    So Ubuntu Phone haven't popular.
    This is my opinion.

Beans

It is true, the phone fails in many aspects. But my greatest disappointment is the built-in connection to Google (-playstore). Why did Canonicle sacrifice my freedom to those monopoly/money-grabbers? Back in 2002 when I decided to ditch M$ for ever and started using Ubuntu, in my worst dreams this could not happen. Is this going to be the end of Mr Shuttleworth's Foundation and life's zeal?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by truico2 View Post
    It is true, the phone fails in many aspects. But my greatest disappointment is the built-in connection to Google (-playstore).
    I didn't think it was possible to run Android apps on Ubuntu Touch, which is the only reason to make a connection to the PlayStore. Then there's the issue of needing to get Google Play Services running, which I don't think is possible outside of Android itself. Did I miss some major announcement where Ubuntu Touch got Google Play Services and the PlayStore?

Or are you talking about the early connections between Ubuntu Touch and CyanogenMod and I'm just misinterpreting what you said?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by truico2 View Post
    But my greatest disappointment is the built-in connection to Google (-playstore).
    Could you elaborate further on this? If it is what I think it is, then agreed, that is a huge misstep. I would protest against this in terms even stronger than the one you used.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast