Thread: "Lucky visitor!" pages opening, don't know why

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"Lucky visitor!" pages opening, don't know why

I'm currently using a laptop with Windows 8.1. I've been an Ubuntu user since 2005/2006, only rfeason I'm using Windows now is I plan to make this laptop a dual-boot and guides I've seen want tme to get a 32GB USB stick which I don't have...

Anyway, I'm using Chrome. And sometimes I get unwanted tabs opening telling me I can win prizes in competitions I haven't even heard of. Here's an example:

http://linksdynamics.com/lp/tlp7/ind...s=214279673945

The date shown on the site is todays date, but I've had the exact same page before but with that previous time's date.

and another one:

http://dcrewards.com-cs.net/us/index...rums.org&c2=rp

When using Ubuntu I use Chromium (I think) and I don't get any of this nonsense. Can I have Chromium instead of Chrome on my Windows 8.1 laptop? Would that stop these unsolicited web pages? Are these unwanted pages a symptom of an awful malware problem that my free AVG isn't curing?

I've posted this in the ubuntuforums.org rather than a Windows site because I don't use Windows usually (except for now, Grrr), I'm a long-term Ubuntu user, can someone please help me?

Thanks.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: "Lucky visitor!" pages opening, don't know why

Do those tabs open randomly or just while browsing on certain websites? Some websites open ads and other annoying stuff without being asked.
    If you don't want that, but still have to use these websites, you might want to use an Adblocker from the Chrome Web Store.

If these pages open on pretty much every website, maybe even on Ubuntu Forums, some installer might have injected an unwanted extension into Google Chrome.
    You can open the Chrome extension manager (Menu > More tools > Extensions) to investigate and deactivate or remove it.

There are some differences between Google Chrome and Chromium, which you can find here.
    You can also get binaries of Chromium for Windows from various sources and varying degrees of stability and age here.

Beans

Did you run a full system clean on AVG? I have Norton and that usually fixes all popups, tracking cookies, just about everything minor. This is Windows for you. Right there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Can I have Chromium instead of Chrome on my Windows 8.1 laptop? Would that stop these unsolicited web pages? Are these unwanted pages a symptom of an awful malware problem that my free AVG isn't curing?
    Would appear so.. http://chromium.woolyss.com/download/

Although, I wouldn't expect it to "cure" your problem which is likely of your own making.