Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Australia for ...

Beans

Re: Thank you Australia for ...

FYI, Wikipedia on death of "Bon" Scott

On 15 February 1980 Scott attended a session where Malcolm and Angus Young were working on the beginnings of two songs that would later be recorded on the Back in Black album; "Have a Drink On Me" and "Let Me Put My Love Into You" with Scott accompanying on drums rather than singing or writing lyrics.[1] On 19 February 1980, Scott, 33, passed out after a night of heavy drinking in a London club called the Music Machine (currently known as the KOKO). He was left to sleep in a Renault 5 owned by an acquaintance named Alistair Kinnear, at 67 Overhill Road in East Dulwich, South London.[18] The following afternoon, Kinnear found Scott lifeless, and alerted the authorities. Scott was rushed to King's College Hospital in Camberwell, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. It has been contended that pulmonary aspiration of vomit was the cause of Scott's death,[19] but the official cause was listed on the death certificate as "acute alcohol poisoning" and classified as "death by misadventure".[20][21] As part of the funeral arrangements, Scott's body was embalmed by Desmond Henley;[22] it was later cremated and Scott's ashes were interred by his family at Fremantle Cemetery in Fremantle, Western Australia.[23]

Death by misadventure

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A death by misadventure, as recorded by coroners and on death certificates and associated documents, is one that is primarily attributed to an accident which occurred due to a dangerous risk which was taken voluntarily. In contrast, when a cause of death is listed as an accident rather than a misadventure, this implies no unreasonable willful risk.[1] Misadventure is not a scientifically recognized cause of death; there is always a more direct cause although it may be unknown in certain cases. Misadventure is a form of unnatural death like accident, suicide, or homicide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Foster's Lager. And those hats with all the corks hanging from the brim.
    "The piano ain't got no wrong notes."

-Thelonious Monk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Australia´s Pendulum band have an interesting style mixing electronic and rock.
    "Interested in time travel? Meet here last Thursday, 7 pm."
    Checkout my VST blog: Free VST Plugins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fyfe54 View Post
    And those hats with all the corks hanging from the brim.
    Haha, agreed.
    "That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
    All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Beans

From ACDC,

"Wanna tell you a story, about a woman I know,
    She ain't exactly pretty,
    She ain't exactly small ..."

The song is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvE0yFnR0I

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thank You Australia for the awesome 80's group Men at Work and especially their official australian theme song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Oh, and for Fosters Larger (love that beer) and the amazing accent

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Men at Work were taken to court for copyright over the song Down Under. It made and broke the band. They made a huge amount of money from that hit and lost it again when they lost the court case and were ordered to pay up. There is an old Australian ditty: Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. It was claimed the flute part was stolen from the melody of that.

One of the members committed suicide, many say due to the stress of the whole thing and the loss of a fortune, the singer Colin Hay tours Australia a bit with his wife who bangs a drum and interpretive dances, and the rest of the band have drifted into obscurity. Sad.

Have a look for 'Who can it be' now. Also another good MAW number. Colin Hay, great voice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    . There is an old Australian ditty: Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. It was claimed the flute part was stolen from the melody of that.
    I always thought that is an old folk song (I learned it in grade 6 only remember: laugh kookabura laugh..) Don't really know the band.
    But I like Tom Waits' "Tom Trauber's blues" I think that has something to do with Australia. Saddest song ever.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 11th, 2015 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

I love that Men at Work song - it's been so long since I heard that song or seen video.

I seem to recall he had a funky eye - am I right?

It has a few times with singers from all countries that they were sued for copying song rhythms and melodies - remember "Ice Ice baby" sounded just like a Queen song!

But that Kookaburra song is awesome - I posted it on my FB wall (timeline) at:
    https://www.facebook.com/michaelpiziak

but this link (above) did not have the flute in it (or did it) ?
    LOL

One of the songs in that video, "come waltzing Metilda with me" (spelling?) is a great song too!

love that stuff!

Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michael-piziak View Post

One of the songs in that video, "come waltzing Metilda with me" (spelling?) is a great song too!
    That is the Tom Wait song I mentioned! (Tom Trauber's blue is also called 'Waltzing Maltilda')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrkThaBWa5c

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast