Thread: Copying files from one host to another. (NOPASSWD)

Beans

Copying files from one host to another. (NOPASSWD)

What is the preferred method of coping a file from another machine without using a password?

An example:

Client machine checks server machine to see if it's process suite is up to date. If it is not, it copies the latest tar.gz from the server.

For simplicity the server/clients both have the same user.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Copying files from one host to another. (NOPASSWD)

Simplest method . . . . dropbox sync works wonders (as does google drive, azure, spider oak, etc. etc). Less work by far than a local file server.

Above presumes casual or basic home "buntu" user with a handful or less of machines.
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; August 31st, 2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by martin-lee.cusick View Post
    What is the preferred method of coping a file from another machine without using a password?
    scp with ssh keys.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    Simplest method . . . . dropbox sync works wonders (as does google drive, azure, spider oak, etc. etc). Less work by far than a local file server.

Above presumes casual or basic home "buntu" user with a handful or less of machines.

I'm sorry, I do not mention that there is no internet access; this is behind a firewall. Somewhat of an industrial setting.

you can still scp from behind a firewall in an "industrial setting". Internet or not.
    Private LANs use scp all the time.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Anonymous FTP has done that successfully since about 1970.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If no external internet allowed, and because you want automated copy of most current file (syncing), perhaps you should consider an internal cloud such as ownCloud: https://owncloud.org/

Or - - software such as advanced "groupware" . . which these days means a wiki. These wikis provide an easy way to see all the documents that have been updated within a specified time period, allowing for access to the latest data.

See these . . . the Confluence wiki will do it all, but requires some $$ and knowledge. http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/Co...ki+Drupal-Wiki

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    you can still scp from behind a firewall in an "industrial setting". Internet or not.
    Private LANs use scp all the time.
    Oh yeah, I use scp right now AND rsync. I'm trying to find out which is the preferred method (the best balance between easy of use and security). I've inherited a half breed so to speak that works when the environment is just right... just trying to make things better. With your help of course.

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Anonymous FTP has done that successfully since about 1970.
    Thanks Herman, I will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    If no external internet allowed, and because you want automated copy of most current file (syncing), perhaps you should consider an internal cloud such as ownCloud: https://owncloud.org/

Or - - software such as advanced "groupware" . . which these days means a wiki. These wikis provide an easy way to see all the documents that have been updated within a specified time period, allowing for access to the latest data.

See these . . . the Confluence wiki will do it all, but requires some $$ and knowledge. http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/Co...ki+Drupal-Wiki
    Definitely something I should look into, but if we had money and knowledge, we probably wouldn't be asking the good people of the forums for help.
    Last edited by howefield; September 1st, 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Beans

OK, so as far as I can figure, you have a bunch of machines with Windows/Linux/Mac behind a firewall in an industrial setup and you want users to download certain files.

The limitation is Windows. Windows only supports three file transfer protocols: FTP, WebDAV and CIFS (a.k.a. SMB or Samba). Linux and Mac supports many, many transfer protocols, the good, the bad and the ooogly.

FTP is the oldest and simplest transfer protocol to set up and make work. CIFS is the most complicated - the Samba book is 3 inches thick. WebDAV requires a web server which is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. However, for FTP, Windows only supports Anonymous transfers, no username and no password, which happens to be what you require anyway.

There is some info on getting FTP to work with Windows, at the bottom of this:
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca/2015/02/w...irtualbox.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Windows only supports three file transfer protocols: FTP, WebDAV and CIFS (a.k.a. SMB or Samba).
    scp works just fine on windows if you install cygwin. I wouldn't be without it.