Thread: VMWare Workstation 64 bit for GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

VMWare Workstation 64 bit for GNU/Linux

I own a 2015 ZaReason Zeto desktop PC and I tested both Oracle VM Virtualbox and VMWare Player extensively for a period of time before I decided to purchase and use VMWare Workstation 64 bit for GNU/Linux several years ago. I did try the current versions of Oracle VM Virtualbox available through the official Ubuntu PPA and VMWare Player 12 recently and I found that I prefer VMWare Player. The problem with Oracle VM Virtualbox is that the capability to install the guest tools package is experimental and it is rather limited in terms of features and capabilities as well as it does not work with every version of each major desktop operating system seamlessly. This reduces the level of functionality for the guest virtual machine to interact with the host desktop operating system that effect basic features like copy, cut, and paste along with drag and drop between the host and guest. The other thing that I did not like about it is that the extension pack is almost mandatory to get the full features and functionality and this is a separate download and installation. The problem is that Oracle may decide to sell these extension packs at sometime in the future as a separate add-on to Oracle VM Virtualbox. Also, Oracle owns Sun Java and VM Virtualbox is under their custodianship which may be problematic as Oracle has other business interests ahead of it. VMWare Player is more features rich and it has more capabilities than Oracle VM Virtualbox, but it is not free, libre, open source software. It is a stripped down version of VMWare Fusion and Workstation 12 Pro which I purchased and currently own and use daily.

VMWare Workstation 12 Pro is expensive software, but it is absolutely critical for me to install and run multiple guest virtual machines with advanced and unique features, functions, and capabilities: https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation...worldwide.html. With regard to Microsoft Windows 10 compatibility and advanced 3D hardware graphics acceleration support, it is peerless for the home consumer and IT professional alike. The sheer number of features, functions, and capabilities are awesome especially the ability to encrypt guest virtual machines or create restricted ones with an expiration date which is a new feature of 12 Pro.

Rather than distro hopping like mad, it is easier and simpler to purchase, download, install or upgrade to VMWare Workstation 12 Pro and install multiple guest virtual machines simultaneously if your PC hardware components support it. This makes playing with multiple desktop operating systems fluid, dynamic, rich, and interesting. It is also a safer and more secure way to test untrusted software code to learn more about its features, functions, and capabilities such as Qubes OS 3.0 rc2 64 bit without installing it bare metal on your desktop or notebook PC and rolling the dice.

It is not for everyone and the price tag should scare away most that are casual users from buying this software product. For enthusiasts like myself, it is absolutely essential and highly recommended to others of like minds. It is well worth my money and it has already saved me countless hours and days from having to reinstall my primary desktop operating system from scratch bare metal on my desktop PC numerous times over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: VMWare Workstation 64 bit for GNU/Linux

VM's are very useful, and certainly VMware is at the pinnacle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Have you ever tried other virtualisation software, other than VirtualBox or VMware?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Back in 2007, I tried Parallels. It was total crap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    Have you ever tried other virtualisation software, other than VirtualBox or VMware?
    Good question.

I used 3 different ones now ( and still do ) and for me VMware is the one I prefer.

I'm sure many will disagree.

Use what works for you.