Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Musescore 2 -- library conflict

Beans

Can't install Musescore 2 -- library conflict

I'm using Trusty and trying to upgrade Musescore 1.3 to Musescore 2.0. Version 2 is available in a PPA: https://launchpad.net/~mscore-ubuntu.../mscore-stable . Unfortunately, the new version will not install, and encounters a version conflict with libqt.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade gets me:

The following packages have been kept back:
    libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5gui5 libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5
    etc. (about 20-25 packages altogether).

It turns out that Musescore 2 requires at least version 5.3 of libqt5, while I have 5.2.1. Even if I compile it myself, it still requires 5.3. According to Synaptic, libqt5 was installed by the previous Musescore PPA, so maybe I could just uninstall all those packages or force update them to 5.3.

BUT there's a big problem. If I try to update libqt5core5 manually with Synaptic, it wants to remove packages such as ubuntu-desktop, and many others! Somehow this doesn't seem safe.

So, just what do I do? Is there a way to run Musescore 2 on this computer, with the required libqt5 version 5.3? Or will it destroy the desktop if I try? There's more discussion here: https://musescore.org/en/node/74041 . I have also contacted the package maintainers, but have not received a reply.

Beans

Re: Can't install Musescore 2 -- library conflict

basically here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post13270676
    You could install & see if you miss any of the removed stuff, could be you don't use. possible some could be re-built to use the newer qt5
    If unsuitable then install ppa-purge & use on the ppa.

Beans

Thanks. I saw that question but missed the answer. (red face)

See if I miss any removed stuff? Are you sure? That seems a little risky, to say the least. Hence this question.

Here's what Synaptic says about the ubuntu-desktop package:
    "This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop system

It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that
    it not be removed."

All this information seems contradictory, which is why I asked. I don't know why a package that was supposedly installed from a MuseScore PPA is required for the ubuntu-desktop package. Nevertheless, removing it is intimidating in the extreme. I'm not an expert on Ubuntu or Musescore packages. Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; August 24th, 2015 at 04:10 PM.

Beans

OK, it turns out that ubuntu-desktop is indeed from libqt. It's probably the qt interface for the QT library.

The Ubuntu instructions say to add the PPA, then
    sudo apt-get update
    to install the software, but in this case that leads to a conundrum. The correct command in this case is
    sudo apt-get install musescore,
    which works flawlessly.

The PPA instructions could sure use a rewrite.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Although this thread is closed, I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to install musescore 2 under Ubuntu 14.04 since it removes packages which seem to be needed such as ubuntu desktop. I've read all of the posts in this thread as well as the links provided and I'm still in the dark as to whether it's safe to remove these packages.
    Any help would be appreciated.

All I know is that I know nothing....

Beans

Sorry I didn't see your question until now. By all means, you can install MuseScore 2 in Ubuntu. It's greatly preferable to version 1. But Ubuntu help with it is slow in coming.

Check the MuseScore forum if you still need help. They are really on top of Ubuntu packaging. Here's that previous link, in case it's appropriate: https://musescore.org/en/node/74041 .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've been getting by with Musescore 1 until now and I'll stick with it for the time being. I had doubts about the upgrade due to some dependencies being uninstalled such as ubuntu-desktop so I didn't upgrade. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is almost out and after it's been out for a few weeks I plan to upgrade to it. A few years ago I decided to only upgrade to LTS releases which is why I'm still using 14.04 and I imagine 16.04 should support Musescore 2 by default.
    Thanks anyway.

All I know is that I know nothing....

Beans

No need to imagine. Musescore 2.0.2 is in Ubuntu 16.04.

Remember to uninstall your PPA version of Musescore and disable the PPA source before upgrading.

Beans

Hi
    I have been running 14.4, 32 bit and have been using Musescore 2.0.2 I would really like to upgrade to Musescore 2.0.3. ( amateur musician)
    I have been unable to do this
    I am new to linux and was advised to use:-
    Sudo add-apt-repository ppa: mscore-unbutnu/mscore-stable
    This seems not to work
    If I go to Musescore web site, I can, and have, downloaded for Ubuntu museScore -2.0.3- i686 appimage
    but not sure how to proceed
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Allister

Beans

Those are totally different (and incompatible) methods of upgrading. You must pick one and stick with it.

Are you asking for help upgrading using the PPA?
    Or are you asking for help upgrading from the Musescore website.

You can do either (it's your system). However, you will be upgrading from a supported (in this forum) version of Musescore to an unsupported (in this forum) version. If you run into problems, our most likely response will be for you to revert to the supported version.

Learning how to upgrade your software safely using a PPA is a fairly simple skill to learn.
    Remember uninstall the software and disable the PPA before you upgrade to the next release of Ubuntu, or the non-Ubuntu version may break your system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast