Thread: network-manager 1.0.4 fail to start

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

network-manager 1.0.4 fail to start

After getting the new 1.0.4 network-manager package, i cant get it starting after a cold reboot, both with systemd or upstart boot.
    But downgrading to the previous 0.9.10.0 version resolve the issue. This is with wily i386 on gnome-shell session.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: network-manager 1.0.4 fail to start

You could I suppose report it as a bug - but as it's not made it out of -proposed yet, I guess they know there are issues with it. Though on the other hand - there's not actually anything wrong with that until it is out of -proposed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    It is trying to install the gnome network manager instead of the Unity network manager. After purging network-manager-gnome with "sudo apt-get remove network-manager" , I had to do this "sudo apt-get install network-manager_0.9.10.0-4ubuntu23_i386.deb
    ".
    It is still showing a network upgrade which I declined for now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flocculant View Post
    You could I suppose report it as a bug - but as it's not made it out of -proposed yet, I guess they know there are issues with it. Though on the other hand - there's not actually anything wrong with that until it is out of -proposed.
    bug lp:1489154

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Yes, let that be a big warning to you guys to keep from 1.0.4 for the time being!!!
    Yes, this is serious. Otherwise you won't even be able to find out about the issue on-line, since you plainly and simply won't be able to access the internet any more.

I could really have saved me half a day with this issue, had I known that "nm-connection-manager" was NOT at fault!! I wondered for quite a long time why it displayed none of my pre-set connections at all, but the actual reason was that NM was not running (because it crashed before and I didn't know about that until checking /var/log/*.crash )!! Sheesh, what a broken piece of cr@p they've made out of NM since v1.x...

Due to APT's habit of accessing the internet whenever it can, downgrading via apt-get when offline is normally a bloody hard thing to do (already been using bootable rescue CDs with an external flash drive connected I could save the .deb package file to), but in this case it is really enough to just downgrade NM by hitting in a sudo dpkg -i, using the .deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives. This was a life-saver for me.
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; August 28th, 2015 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Got the new 1.0.4-0ubuntu3 version (proposed), and its works now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Got the new 1.0.4-0ubuntu3 version (proposed), and its works now
    Got the new version yesterday, took the default option (not to replace config), and ended up with a completely borked network manager.

I had to downgrade, then re-upgrade (which seemed to replace config without asking the second time), to get it working.

Now here's the fun part: NetworkManager has been using *18%* of a CPU (sometimes as high as 28%) ever since the upgrade.... and I'm pretty sure I completely rebooted right afterward.

*Edit*: Found the issue. The updated versions hated a config line I had added to /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d/lan, so dnsmasq was constantly being restarted (and failing) by NetworkManager.
    Last edited by 3vi1; September 12th, 2015 at 01:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I upgraded today to the new version, accepted the new configuration files, and when I restarted the computer network-manager did not crash but was not connecting to my LAN.

I went to /etc/NetworkManager/ and in NetworkManager.conf I changed "managed" from false to true, and after restarting network manager I got my network connection back.
    Catalan Team: Tingueu presents les normes d'or : poseu un títol entenedor i apropiat ; digueu quina versió i variant d'Ubuntu feu servir i a quina màquina; i què heu provat abans de demanar ajut. Si s'ha resolt, marqueu [Solved].