Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display manager buggy?

Beans

Display manager buggy?

I've been playing with Ubuntu GNOME the past few days since most of the remaining parts of GNOME 3.16 have landed in the repos and it looks like if you choose auto-login during installation, then open System Settings > Users it says auto-login is set to off even though its set to on. I'll be trying Ubuntu itself as well as the latest spins of Ubuntu GNOME over the next few days but wondered if others would watch for that behavior among any and all flavors

I've tried both gdm and lightdm with the gtk-greeter and they both seem goofy in that regard, but if you manually change auto-login back and forth from off to on, and vice versa, then it seems to work OK.

I remember something like that happening previously so I dug thru my old notes ......... not sure if it might be a regression to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1245915

Jump to comment #15 where Sebastien Bacher found some buggy code. So maybe an upstream import still has the buggy code? Or maybe it's an entirely new problem?
    Last edited by kansasnoob; August 23rd, 2015 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Display manager buggy?

There have been several users complaining about autologin issues recently
    https://www.google.com/?q=autologin+...+bug&tbs=qdr:m

Beans

I tried fresh installations of both Ubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME yesterday and this appeared to affect only Ubuntu GNOME so I filed a bug report against gdm:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...m/+bug/1487819

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've been playing with Ubuntu GNOME the past few days since most of the remaining parts of GNOME 3.16 have landed in the repos and it looks like if you choose auto-login during installation, then open System Settings > Users it says auto-login is set to off even though its set to on. I'll be trying Ubuntu itself as well as the latest spins of Ubuntu GNOME over the next few days but wondered if others would watch for that behavior among any and all flavors

I've tried both gdm and lightdm with the gtk-greeter and they both seem goofy in that regard, but if you manually change auto-login back and forth from off to on, and vice versa, then it seems to work OK.

I remember something like that happening previously so I dug thru my old notes ......... not sure if it might be a regression to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1245915

Jump to comment #15 where Sebastien Bacher found some buggy code. So maybe an upstream import still has the buggy code? Or maybe it's an entirely new problem?
    Yes, this happened to my latest install, from the August 19th build. I always install with auto-login, and sure enough, I was auto-logging-in... so I never even noticed...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Yes, this happened to my latest install, from the August 19th build. I always install with auto-login, and sure enough, I was auto-logging-in... so I never even noticed...
    I only happened to notice because I decided to try the flashback session for the first time in this cycle and, even though I'd logged out and selected flashback successfully, I decided to turn auto-login off just in case things were screwed on boot. It seems to sort itself out after toggling back and forth between off and on a couple of times but Tim Lunn at Ubuntu GNOME recently asked for thorough testing so I'm trying diligently to break things

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I only happened to notice because I decided to try the flashback session for the first time in this cycle and, even though I'd logged out and selected flashback successfully, I decided to turn auto-login off just in case things were screwed on boot. It seems to sort itself out after toggling back and forth between off and on a couple of times but Tim Lunn at Ubuntu GNOME recently asked for thorough testing so I'm trying diligently to break things
    I've done a bit more testing. I set auto-login 'on' in the settings, rebooted, it auto-logged me in, but again reverted to 'off' in the settings.

I set it 'off', rebooted, and sure enough had to manually log in.

I set it back 'on', rebooted, got auto-logged in, but again showed as 'off'.

Very strange...

Beans

I've done a bit more testing. I set auto-login 'on' in the settings, rebooted, it auto-logged me in, but again reverted to 'off' in the settings.

I set it 'off', rebooted, and sure enough had to manually log in.

I set it back 'on', rebooted, got auto-logged in, but again showed as 'off'.

Very strange...
    I just updated after 10 days of been away.

No issues with the auto login in gnome here.

Shut off auto login and rebooted, typed in password and set it for auto again.

Rebooted computer again and it log in automatically.

So yes this is strange.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I just updated after 10 days of been away.

No issues with the auto login in gnome here.

Shut off auto login and rebooted, typed in password and set it for auto again.

Rebooted computer again and it log in automatically.

So yes this is strange.
    Yes, how you set it determines how it works. But when you set it 'on' and reboot (and auto-login), when you check your settings does it show as 'on'?

Beans

Yes, how you set it determines how it works. But when you set it 'on' and reboot (and auto-login), when you check your settings does it show as 'on'?
    It does shows off.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    It does shows off.
    That's the bug. It wouldn't seem to be that hard to fix. Nor is it really all that pernicious in its effects. Just a strange glitch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast