Thread: Can I Install Windows 10 Along Side Ubuntu?

Beans

Can I Install Windows 10 Along Side Ubuntu?

Hello Everyone, i have ubuntu on my other desktop pc, and i have a copy of windows 10 on a cd. Can I install windows 10 along side ubuntu? Thanks

when i try to post a reply, there is no place to click on to enter the reply, after filling out a reply to my post
    what do i click on to send the reply, i dont see anything like post or enter it? thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I Install Windows 10 Along Side Ubuntu?

Yes you can. But, and it is a big but. The installation will most likely over-write the Ubuntu boot loader (Grub) and you will not be able to load Ubuntu. So, you better (a) back up your data; (b) investigate Boor Repair.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Boot Repair can repair the Ubuntu boot loader but if the install of Windows 10 erases the Ubuntu partition, then Boot Repair cannot repair that. So, be careful with the options you choose. That applies also to installing Ubuntu on a machine with Windows pre-installed. Make the wrong choice and we loose the existing OS.

There are several threads on this forum about windows 10. Check them out as well. There are times when I double check that I am actually viewing a Ubuntu forum because over the last few days I have seen so many posts about Windows 10.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 19th, 2015 at 09:06 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

i already have a boot repair disk if i can find it!!lol!!
    any suggestions for when i first put the windows10 disk in, like what options might come up?
    if you can remember? if not i guess i will just play it by ear, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

First of all, Win10 does not come on a "CD" -- it is far too big to fit in 700MB; instead, you must have a DVD.

Second, unless you purchased an OEM or Retail version of Win10, you will NOT have a product key with which to activate Win10, and since MS has changed their activation method with Win10, there is no way you can enter a product key to get it activated. IT will pop up a screen asking for a product key, but unless you have the OEM or Retail version on the DVD, nothing you enter will work.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Your right i have it on a dvd and it is large, but i dont understand why they let you download it on a dvd or flash drive if you cannot use it. i got the download from microsoft
    website.