Thread: Unable to mount USB - no medium found

Beans

Unable to mount USB - no medium found

I have a new HP USB 3.0 128 GB thumbdrive. It came with some preinstalled stuff that would only run on Windows or Mac, so I went into XP and totally muffed it up so it's unreadable. Back in Xubuntu, it doesn't mount. I figure I could wipe it and start over, but can't get to that point. Gparted doesn't see it. I issue the following commands with results:

Code:
    sudo blkid | grep sd
    and it just displays my current installed hard drives (3) and partitions (24), which I won't bore you with here. The USB drive is not listed.

I unplug the USB drive and plug it in again, and issue the command:

Code:
    dmesg

[  970.159524] usb 1-5: USB disconnect, device number 3
    [ 1010.004110] usb 1-5: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
    [ 1010.137252] usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=da07
    [ 1010.137261] usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 1010.137264] usb 1-5: Product: x702w
    [ 1010.137267] usb 1-5: Manufacturer: HP
    [ 1010.137270] usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 2304501274
    [ 1010.139410] usb-storage 1-5:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [ 1010.139756] scsi7 : usb-storage 1-5:1.0
    [ 1011.136677] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     hp       NAND Flash       1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
    [ 1011.139319] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
    [ 1011.145325] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
    That tells me that the system recognizes the thumb drive, and attaches it as sdd.
    Okay, so lets say it doesn't have a partition on it, and I need to create one. As Gparted won't see it, maybe I can use fdisk. I issue the command:

Code:
    sudo fdisk /dev/sddfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdd: No medium found
    So fdisk doesn't see it. I can issue the command

Code:
    ls -l /dev/sdd
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 48 12.08.2015 09:13 /dev/sdd
    So at some level the system is able to see the USB drive on /dev/sdd, but if fdisk won't see it, I don't know what to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Unable to mount USB - no medium found

I have no idea what you mean by "so I went into XP and totally muffed it up so it's unreadable." but I wonder if you formatted it in XP, and whether XP is able to or defaults to creating dynamic partitions which are invisible to Linux.

Tell us a bit more if you can about what you have actually done to the disk, and what the "stuff" on it was before you did whatever it was.

Beans

Thank you, ajgreeny, for your quick response. I was trying to save you from trudging through details that were not on message. The thumb drive would not read in the thumb drive originally in Ubuntu. Then I noticed on the package that it required Windows or Mac. I figured it had some security or other type of software that restricted access to the drive. I figured I could blast it away and reformat it. I rebooted into my antique version of XP, and sure enough, there it was. I used Avanquest Partition Commander, and was able to access the drive. I decided to delete the one FAT32 partition. I clicked accept, that action completed OK. Then I wanted to create one FAT32 partition of 20 GB, and an ext3 partition (Partition Commander didn't allow ext4 as a choice) of 50 GB, and leave the rest unformatted for now. Before I clicked accept, I changed my mind about some parameter on the ext4 partition. I wasn't able to change it, so I deleted it and then recreated it the way I wanted. I thought Partition Commander would remove the first creation and deletion from stack of actions to complete, but when I clicked accept, I saw that it was creating the FAT32, creating the ext4, deleting the ext4, and then recreating the ext4. Well, color me impatient, I didn't want to sit through all that, I let it finish creating the FAT32 partition, and then when it started on the first ext4 partition, I hit cancel, thinking I could redo it more quickly by recreating the ext4 partition by itself. I guess Partition Commander has some bugs in it, because then I couldn't read the drive at all in XP, Partition Commander or no. I also tried Partition Commander boot disk, but that wasn't able to see it either. I figured Ubuntu/Xubuntu might be able to save me, so I rebooted back into that. That's what got me to where I am now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Randyman99 View Post
    ... I can issue the command

Code:
    ls -l /dev/sdd
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 48 12.08.2015 09:13 /dev/sdd
    So at some level the system is able to see the USB drive on /dev/sdd, but if fdisk won't see it, I don't know what to do.
    When ls can see the thumbdrive, I think mkusb can see it too, and if you let it wipe the first megabyte, the bad things confusing gparted and other tools should be gone. See this link

mkusb#Wipe_the_first_megabyte_or_the_whole_device

After that it should work to create partitions with gparted.

Beans

Thank you, Sudodus, That looks like a good thing to try. I tried plugging the USB into another computer, and the ls command didn't work there. I plugged it back into the first computer again, and now wasn't able to detect it their either. I figured I had a faulty USB, and as it was less than a week old, I took it back to the store, and exchanged it for another of the same make and model. With this new one, Gparted was able to read it just fine. I was able to delete the factory partition and create one of my own, and am able to write to it now just fine.

I like your suggestion, though, and think it would have allowed me to recover, if in fact the problem with the USB had been strictly software. It's possible I might have had a bad first sector from the get-go, but I don't know that it wasn't a hardware problem, either, perhaps a loose connection inside the USB. I will bookmark this page for reference in case I need to recover a USB in the future, and mark this thread as solved.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm glad you found a solution

Yes, that it seems to be a hardware problem or a problem with software 'behind or below' what we can touch with our tools.