Thread: Ubuntu Phones on sale Globally (even USA) !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Ubuntu Phones on sale Globally (even USA) !!!!

Unfortunately due to USA's cellular shenanigans, the phone can only access up to 2G speeds (not G3 or even the G4 available today with other handsets).

Canonical’s Ubuntu Phones Now On Sale Globally
    Mobile market latecomer Canonical claims “latent demand” for its tardy but alternative smartphone OS has encouraged its OEM partner, BQ, to open up availability of its handsets to buyers anywhere in the world, not just in Europe.
    Although buyers anywhere can now order an Ubuntu phone, Canonical also warns that handset and OS functionality may be limited in some countries, including the U.S. — noting in a blog post:

We know (and BQ has acknowledged) that network frequency, and mobile operator, compatibility in some countries, such as the US, will limit some of the handset and OS functionality that European users are presently enjoying.
    So caveat emptor. But given it’s not a mainstream mobile OS that was already the case.
    So it isn't for mainstream use in the USA yet, but may be worth getting to try ti out and get a feel for it so when it comes to the the the duopoly (Verizon and AT&T) will be ready!

Anybody going to get one? Anybody have one?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Phones on sale Globally (even USA) !!!!

I saw this a few days ago and was ecstatic when I saw the headline...but then I started reading about the carrier issues...

Anyways, I tried Ubuntu Touch on the Nexus 5 for a time. I enjoyed using it for the most part, but it predictably didn't work that well with the phone. I was waiting for an official phone to release in the U.S., but I guess now that we've got that, I've got to wait for an official release that works properly on T-Mobile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On the bright side, all this work is going into the Ubuntu Phone even while it is just trying to get across the border into the USA. Once it reaches one of the carriers in a more "official" capacity it should have more bugs worked out and be smooth.

I think instead of releasing it in the USA with limitations, maybe use the USA for a tablet release and/or development?

That way the touch interface would be able to be tested and grow on people while waiting for the phone to make it, and for the larger tablet release then issues would have a chance to be worked out.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd take the plunge if I knew it was going to work with sprint. But I cannot seem to find any concrete info on whether or not that is the case (and I don't need another mp3 player that used to be a phone).

The idea of Ubuntu on a phone though...
    And everyone thought I was crazy because all I wanted was noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles...

Beans

Interesting. If it is for sale in the US probably will come to Canada. I may consider it. Maybe Wind will support it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

phone is not much without apps. it' s just a touch PC that can make phone calls but with less apps.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I want to know what the service downsides are. I'm currently using an unlocked phone with a Net10 monthly plan; they use a bunch of carriers, and the BQ site says it does GSM on U.S. frequencies. So aside from fewer apps, which I basically don't need, what's the downside?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    phone is not much without apps. it' s just a touch PC that can make phone calls but with less apps.
    Completely agree! Android app emulator? Android version of WINE; AINE (Aine is not an emulator)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wewantutopia View Post
    Completely agree! Android app emulator? Android version of WINE; AINE (Aine is not an emulator)?
    Webapps are the future.