Thread: Remmina does not tunnel on 14.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Remmina does not tunnel on 14.04 LTS

In 14.04 LTS, Remmina can connect to VNC over an existing tunnel but seems not able to create its own tunnel. If I launch a VNC server on a remote machine and forward the appropriate ports,

Code:
    ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 xx.xx.xx.xx 'x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -localhost -display :0 -noxdamage -ncache 10'
    then I can connect with Remmina to VNC as localhost:0

However, if I do not create the tunnel in advance,

Code:
    ssh xx.xx.xx.xx 'x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -localhost -display :0 -noxdamage -ncache 10'
    Then there is nothing that I can find (so far) that allows me to use Remmina to create the tunnel.

Protocol -> VNC

Basic->Server->localhost:0

SSH
    ->Enable Tunnel
    ->Tunnel via loopback address
    ->Server->Custom->xx.xx.xx.xx

It asks for the SSH password, X11vnc shows that there is a connection, then Remmina asks for the VNC password, it accepts the password and briefly opens a window but closes it before anything can render. The VNC server says only 'viewer exited'

How can I get Remmina to connect with VNC over an SSH tunnel of its own creation?

Beans

Re: Remmina does not tunnel on 14.04 LTS

Hmm... I could swear that it worked when I first installed 14.04

I tried it yesterday on a LAN connection with standard SSH port 22, and it seemed to work, but NOT over a WAN to a box with non-standard SSH port. Perhaps that's significant, perhaps not (that box is having some authentication issues, although I am currently connected to a tunneled tightvnc session from Windows using putty and tightvnc viewer)

I will try again and update if I find anything relevant

On a side note, I found remmina to be generally flaky in the last little while (hangs, grays out the display, has to be killed)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Remmina does not tunnel on 14.04 LTS

Yeah, I thought it used to work, too, but version 1.0.0-4ubuntu3 seems not to tunnel. Along the same lines it looks like it might be using outdated, insecure key exchange methods and ciphers, but I haven't looked closely at that yet.

What's the best replacement? Remmina is in the default installation in Ubuntu and I think Xubuntu.