Thread: 'kbuildsycoca4 running...' error

Beans

Red face 'kbuildsycoca4 running...' error

I have recently been messing with PostgreSQL and pgAdmin III, and I think this has something to do with this error.

I am currently trying to install the pycharm-community package and run into this problem that I must 'ctrl + C' out of:

brilliant@Ame-WhitthouseStation:~$ kbuildsycoca4 running...
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-brilliant" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    kbuildsycoca4(18877) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in "/home/brilliant/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

The uid 1000 is what makes me think that this is from PostgreSQL, because I recall seeing my user (brilliant) with that ID when looking at some setting dealing with PostgreSQL (with package-created user postgres being 0). After a bit of searching, I see that I may be able to fix my issue by changing the permission back to uid 0, so I run:

sudo chown root.root /var/tmp/kdecache-brilliant

While that did get rid of the error message, it did not get rid of my 'ctrl + C' process-ending need. I am quite new to Linux/Ubuntu, so I look forward to your guidance! Thank you for your time, it means a lot.

SOLVED: I guess that changing of ownership did due the trick. It did not work for me initially, but after doing a system update|upgrade, I reinstalled pycharm-community and it ran fine, no errors at all.
    Last edited by antbyrd; August 3rd, 2015 at 04:39 AM.