Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Selecting a tool to create USB boot drives from ISO files

Beans

Re: Discussion: Selecting a tool to create USB boot drives from ISO files

Quote Originally Posted by Chazall1 View Post
    Unetbootin works very good. Been using it for years.
    +1!

The UI could use some polishing though. If using a downloaded iso the path_to_iso UI is rather confusing for a noob, and maximum free space for live persistence is not automatically calculated. Other than that it's pretty darn great!

Beans

Both persistence and the ability for amd64 iso's to boot in either BIOS or UEFI mode are must haves.

Aside from SDC being badly borked one of the most annoying design flaws has always been the 10 minute timeout for installing the bootloader. I'm sure I'm not the only one that multi-tasks constantly, and not just at the desk. Watching and waiting for SDC to ask if you want to install the bootloader is about like watching paint dry ............... but if you get distracted for more than 10 minutes after SDC asks about bootloader installation you have to start all over again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Both persistence and the ability for amd64 iso's to boot in either BIOS or UEFI mode are must haves.

Aside from SDC being badly borked one of the most annoying design flaws has always been the 10 minute timeout for installing the bootloader. I'm sure I'm not the only one that multi-tasks constantly, and not just at the desk. Watching and waiting for SDC to ask if you want to install the bootloader is about like watching paint dry ............... but if you get distracted for more than 10 minutes after SDC asks about bootloader installation you have to start all over again
    Yep. You got to be right there at the terminal to push it along as soon as that windows pops up. Ya know .. I haven't tried it in a while. I am going to try in in wily Unity desktop.

edit:

Complete fail. It actually rendered my Nextech 8GB USB dongle undetectable in either trusty or wily on various machines. However .. mkusb was able to detect and copy image to it.
    Last edited by ventrical; August 3rd, 2015 at 08:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo View Post
    I use Disks->Restore Disk Image
    Easiest, fastest way with no fails. Even with wily.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo View Post
    I use Disks->Restore Disk Image
    Easiest, fastest way with no fails. Even with wily.
    But no persistence can be stored in the target device (at least I don't know how to get it.) How important is it to be able to create persistence by the standard tool?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I think there are different opinions about the ability to create persistence - @ everybody: please tell us what you think

I think we all agree about the ability for amd64 iso's to boot in either BIOS or UEFI mode.
    I didn't know about this design flaw - either I haven't been distracted for more than 10 minutes - or maybe I have, but not understood what happened
    Last edited by sudodus; August 3rd, 2015 at 07:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    But no persistence can be stored in the target device (at least I don't know how to get it.) How important is it to be able to create persistence by the standard tool?
    What I do is remove all hdds and then use a 16GB usb drive as the target drive. I used to be able to use SDC for this in earlier version of ubuntu. I would make install USB , say , of maveric meerkat and then install it to USB drive. (It treated the USB drive as if it were a hard drive). and voila' I am still running the same USB drives of Lucid Linyx 10.04 bootable on almost any machine. This drives are almost 5 years old. Thats not bad for persistence don't you think? As far as using the 'persistive' drive technique that was offered by SDC (even in early days) it was always much slower that with the method I used.

Btw .. I did my experiment with 15.10 ubuntu-desktop and SDC is a complete fail. Will now try with trusty on another machine.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

After assuming SDC destroyed my Nextech USB flash I tried it on another stable machine - rebooted .. etc.. but would not detect USB. I loaded mkusb and voila'....Now it is detected on other machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; August 3rd, 2015 at 08:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

SDC is behaving like malware, It is a security hazard and needs to be seriously adressed.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

@ ventrical: So you skip 'persistent live' and make an 'installed system' if you want persistence on a USB pendrive.

1. clone the iso file to the first pendrive
    2. boot from the first pendrive
    3. run the standard installer (ubiquity) and make an 'installed system' in the second pendrive
    4. install the bootloader to the head of the second pendrive (either by removing all other drives or by using 'Something else')
    5. add the mount option noatime to /etc/fstab to avoid excessive wear

It makes a good system, but is definitely more complicated than to create a persistent live system with for example Unetbootin.

-o-

@ everybody: Debian is recommending the naked cloning method without any safety belt, See https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb.
    "cp":
    Code:
    cp <file> <device>
    or "dd":
    Code:
    dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync
    I got that page in Swedish, so I translated to <file> and <device>. Simple is beautiful, but I would recommend a tool with a safety belt

Debian is recommending Win32 Disk Imager to clone from Windows. I agree, I even made a tutorial for it.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast