Thread: Upgrading to Windows 10 with Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgrading to Windows 10 with Ubuntu 14.04

Just to let everyone know things went well this morning.
    Windows 10 just came out and I did the upgrade. I was running Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 8.1 on a Asus i7 laptop and this morning I went ahead and did the upgrade to 10. I have my laptop set to boot into Ubuntu first then Windows. During the upgrade the computer had to boot several times so the only thing I had to do was select Windows from the grub.
    It took a little over an hour and everything works as it did before the upgrade. It left my grub alone so Ubuntu boot first as before. I am in Ubuntu right now but plan on checking out 10 to see how I like it.
    Now just because I have Windows 10 I don't plan on moving away from Ubuntu. I am one of those users that like the best of both world.
    I believe both Windows and Ubuntu are good OS' and I like them both and will use them both. I am not a MS hater. As long as I have a laptop that will run both of them, I will keep on keeping on.
    Have a great day, I sure am having one sitting outside on a beautiful day looking out at the Mississippi River while writing this.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; August 1st, 2015 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Fixed thread title
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10 with Ubuntu 14.04

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat as you're not looking for support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Good to hear!

I'm really liking Win 10. I'm a member of the MSDN, and a Microsoft Insider on the Fast Ring. I've been working with Win 10 since they made it available for testing. It came a long way and Microsoft actually listened to the comments. I think it worked out pretty darn good.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Same experience here. Ran the "in OS" upgrade from the downloaded ISO. Couldn't quite "sit back and relax" as I also had to watch for the reboots to choose Windows from my grub menu. But pleased to see grub persisted through the whole thing, was expecting to have to do a grub reinstall but it never came!

W10 upgrade did a slick job of keeping all my apps and settings. Needed a couple of reboots to sort out video drivers, dual screens etc. Have now switched off (hidden) Cortana and Task View, and the thing is quite useable
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After running Windows 10 for about a week, I am finding things I don't like.
    1. I have trouble typing because things popup like the search at the bottom of windows.
    2. It keeps turning the sound on waiting for me to say something.
    3. The cursor keep jumping around because I have no way to turn off the touchpad. I think it is trying to use the wrong driver.
    Before the upgrade I could hit the Fn key + F9 and it would turn it off but that don't work any more. The latest driver on Asus site is for Windows 8.1 and that don't work. I tried downloading it and installed it.
    4. After installing the OS I had to reinstall some of my open source software like LibraOffice
    5. Then I installed LibraOffice 5 and some of my plugin won't work with that version.

There was more but this were just some of the things I can think off.
    I am back to using Ubuntu for my important stuff, Like Writing and research. I am still using Ubuntu for all my recording and for my sound system.
    If you install Windows 10 and have some issues let me know by posting them here.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.