Thread: flightgear info / user manual / installation manual

Beans

flightgear info / user manual / installation manual

hey all,
    have some questions about flightgear flight simulator for ubuntu 14.04 lts.

does anyone know what the system hardware requirements are for this simulator.
    can i use a joystick to use the simulator or is it all done by mouse and key board.
    where can one find info about the use of this flight simulator such as a user guide pdf etc.

info on the web is not much as far as need to know like keyboard commands etc and if a joystick can be used with it.
    any input would be excellent.

thanks
    the poorguy

Beans

Re: flightgear info / user manual / installation manual

Beans

i have viewed that and it appears that it may be the best that i am going to find. it does have some good info and links. i was just hoping for more info about system requirements and such. it also seems that some joysticks work and others don't. also i have a flight yoke and throttle quadrant and pedals that i was wondering about calibration and such. it seems that x-plane 10 is the real one and only flight simulator that works awesome on linux. x-plane i can find all kinds of info that is needed as far as system requirements etc. thanks for the link and i am going to keep searching and see what else i might find.

thanks the poorguy

Beans

i guess i might be expecting too much from flightgear flight simulator. even going to their website there isn't much info as how to set up and configure everything, flight yoke, joystick etc. using microsoft flight simulator x for years upon years and having all sorts of info i believe i have become spoiled and was hoping that flightgear would be on the same par. not complaining as it is free so i guess when funds come around i guess i will buy x-plane 10.

i haven't given up on flight gear and will continue to make it work for me because it doesn't seem that bad of a flight simulator. it just sucks to have to use the mouse and key board to fly the simulator.

the poorguy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i am not sure what search engine oyu are using or how you are doing the search but it seems to me they got it all covered:

http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/getstart/getstart.html

joystick support: http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/getst...ml#x8-600003.6
    system requirements_: http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/getst...tml#x5-90001.2

the HTML manual is a bit dated, but you can always lower system requirements by changing settings. i know i do.

pdf seems to be up to date:
    http://mapserver.flightgear.org/getstart.pdf

system:
    256MB of dedicated graphics memory will be more than adequate - many people run
    FlightGear happily on less.

joystick:
    simply use the Joystick Configuration dialog to select what you wish each button or movement to do.

i dont' have a joystick but had no problem flying with mouse. my computer is 10 years old, single core athlon.

edit: if you need more info visit their forums or IRC channel.

but this was my first real simulatzor. i read the manual and did the first flight. can't really always land and navigation is giving me problems but other than that it is a nice simulator.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

hey mastablasta,

thanks for the links yours that you sent are way more up to date than the ones that i was seeing. yeah i can fly it ok with the mouse and keypad just want to use the joystick and or my flight yoke etc. joystick would be fine though.

yeah the filght simulator seems to be pretty good and runs without any issues and graphics are pretty good.

may have to go back to using google instead of duckduckgo and start page as i didn't seem to find much on flightgear flight simulator.
    been doing microsoft flight simulator x for many years and using a flight yoke and pedals etc so even if those won't work with this simulator i am almost certain that i can get my joystick to work witch would be cool.

thanks for the links.
    the poorguy
    Last edited by poorguy; August 3rd, 2015 at 01:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you should check the setups some people that use flight gear made at home. some have the complete plane cabin on their desktop (yokes, engine power, trim, fuel... you name it).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

yeah i know some people that have built flight simulator cages with motors that move with the controls but that is a little much and way far out then i want to go. and the fact that they have way more money than i do. i do the multiple monitors 3 of them and yoke / throttle quadrant / pedals / joystick on the microsoft flight simulator x set up. i was lucky someone i knew bought some different flight controls and gave me all of their old stuff which was cool. until then all i had was a joystick. yeah i have seen some pretty cool flight simulator set ups.

the poorguy