Thread: Intel Core i7 5775C Broadwell Processor

Beans

Intel Core i7 5775C Broadwell Processor

Am planning a silent PC build to be used as a general purpose desktop, but also for recording audio. I want to do without a separate graphics card to keep power consumption and heat dissipation down. It is very likely that I will attempt to get past the Hell level in Doom3 and very likely that I will continue to fail.

Impressed by the low TDP (65W) for the above CPU, but note that it has a new GPU (Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200) - has anyone any experience of how well this works with 15.04?

I found this review... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ris-6200&num=1
    Last edited by m-dw; July 21st, 2015 at 10:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Intel Core i7 5775C Broadwell Processor

Beans

Thanks, not sure how I missed that... so not stable under Ubuntu yet, but with a possible work-around of fixing the CPU at the highest speed.... also not available at any UK retail sites yet so I may stick with a 4th generation chip and bigger heat-sink.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans

Out of interest... why was this moved?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by m-dw View Post
    Out of interest... why was this moved?
    You are asking for user experiences and opinions, not for direct or specific technical support for a Ubuntu issue. This equates to discussion/chat and not support. The thread was originally posted in a support area.

... has anyone any experience of how well this works with 15.04?
    ... opens the door to a barrage of opinions, experiences and discussion on the subject. There are possibly a huge range of experiences and you might not find a definitive answer, if there is one. You are not asking about an issue with the processor and why it doesn't work, to which some effort could be put into solving the issue, but for other people's experiences with this piece of hardware, which will vary depending on myriad factors. Generally, there is much information to questions like this already available online. Thanks and good luck.

Beans

That sounds fair, particularly as the site which turned up the positive results under Fedora was the same site that turned up Ubuntu's issue with CPU frequency scaling. Thanks for the clarification.