Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webup8 ppa for downloading updated oracle java not maintained?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

webup8 ppa for downloading updated oracle java not maintained?

Hello,

I don't know if this is the proper subforum to ask this question, if no, please feel free to move to the adecuate one.

Someone knows if the webup8 ppas for downloading updated oracle java 8 or 7 are not longer mantained?, I have the ppa corresponding to oracle java 7 but I remains with oracle java 1.7.0.80 which is marked as unupdated by firefox and I don't receive any security update from the forementioned ppa.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by QIII; July 21st, 2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: updated title

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: webup8 ppa for downloading updated oracle java not amntained?

Thread moved to The Cafe.

As Webup8 has nothing to do with Canonical or Ubuntu directly and this is not a Ubuntu support request, best here. You might try posting on a Webup8 forum or emailing them directly (or emailing directly the maintainer of whatever PPA you are talking about).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'll try to get in touch with Andrew again and see if he is maintaining it any longer.

Edit: I emailed Andrew. We'll see what he has to say. All that stuff on webupd8? Maintained by one guy. He may just be taking a well-deserved break.

If you are hard pressed for an immediate solution and must have Oracle Java, then I suggest this, which is what I used to use to get the JRE and browser plugin. But it doesn't install the JDK.

You may also uninstall Oracle Java 7/8 from the PPA and install OpenJDK.

OpenJDK is the open source reference implementation of Oracle Java -- which is to say that Oracle has decreed that all things Java, including Oracle Java, must conform to OpenJDK as the standard (although they haven't exactly held to that.)
    Last edited by QIII; July 21st, 2015 at 07:26 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I'll try to get in touch with Andrew again and see if he is maintaining it any longer.
    +1. Log in to launchpad and you can find his contact info. Just send him an email.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post

Someone knows if the webup8 ppas for downloading updated oracle java 8 or 7 are not longer mantained?, I have the ppa corresponding to oracle java 7 but I remains with oracle java 1.7.0.80 which is marked as unupdated by firefox and I don't receive any security update from the forementioned ppa.
    I asked about java here: Which Java for LibreOffice Base? and was pointed to http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/insta...u-via-ppa.html. So I went ahead and installed it as the link directed.

Now, when I open LibreOffice Calc Tools > Options > Advanced, I see Oracle Corporation version 1.8.0_45. But I too haven't noticed any updates (and I do make a point of knowing what updates arrive).

Code:
    11:37 AM ~ $ java -version
    java version "1.8.0_45"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b14)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)
    11:46 AM ~ $
    But the webupd8 link has this:
    As a reminder, the WebUpd8 Oracle Java PPA doesn't include any Java binaries, just a script that automatically downloads and install Oracle Java 8. Everything is done automatically so you'll get updates through the update manager for JDK8 which includes JRE8 and the Java browser plugin.
    Last edited by vasa1; July 21st, 2015 at 07:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It's currently at Update 51 from Oracle, so webupd8 is getting a little old.

Again: I emailed Andrew. Please don't flood him. I'll get back to this with an update when I hear something.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    +1. Log in to launchpad and you can find his contact info. Just send him an email.
    He's already in my personal address book.

Beans

Re: webup8 ppa for downloading updated oracle java not maintained?

I made a script to install and automatically update java.

http://askubuntu.com/a/652901/167850

https://github.com/hanipouspilot/oracle-java8
    Last edited by Pilot6; July 26th, 2015 at 08:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks Pilot6, your script worked very well for me. I updated from 8u45 to 8u51 amd64 without issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you hadn't heard, the webupd8 PPA has been updated.

Two of my Ubuntu machines updated just fine. With the third, I had to use ppa-purge to purge the PPA, reinstall the PPA and then install oracle-java8-installer again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast