Thread: Startup splash screen gone after installing NVIDIA Driver.

Beans

Startup splash screen gone after installing NVIDIA Driver.

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M
    DRIVER VERSION: Version 331.113

Fast forward, I had installed the pending updates (Software Updater) and the proprietary driver (Additional Driver) from NVIDIA (Version 331.113) and after my laptop rebooted the splash screen (Xubuntu wallpaper with circling loading logo at the bottom) was gone.

The startup splash screen was then replaced by this NVIDIA logo/image

NOTE: I've found a lot of workaround information on how to solve this problem and perhaps bring back the nice looking startup splash screen. But my problem is I can't decide which one to follow since every solution is different from the other. I mean other suggested to edit the GRUB while some suggested installing some script via terminal. This confuses me because I'm new to Linux and I'm afraid that I may break something.

Beans

Re: Startup splash screen gone after installing NVIDIA Driver.

In the terminal, use the command:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-logo
    information source:
    http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...tartup-screen/

Beans

Will that command also bring back the old startup splash screen of Xubuntu?

I always end up having the same problem from all Linux distros based on Ubuntu that I have install. I got this similar issue on (Ubuntu w/ Unity, Xubuntu, Linux Mint w/ MATE and XFCE.
    Last edited by howefield; July 16th, 2015 at 12:13 PM.

Beans

Also, every time my laptop boots up it displays an "over current usb port" message.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

is there anything in your usb ports? something is using too much electricity is what it means if they are empty blow them out if the message persist is is probably wrong
    the only other thing it could possibly mean is there is some override in place that allows larger current flow than the USB port is specked for
    something like a usb 3 HDD connected to a USB 2 port without a second port in use could do it
    *USB 3 supports 0.9A while USB 2 supports 0.5A, a cable with 2 plugs going to a HDD allows you to use 2 USB ports for power in parallel so for example 0.5A+0.5A=1A

this is the guide i used way back when to fix the boot resolution
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-140810.shtml
    here is a newer guide
    http://www.binarytides.com/ubuntu-fix-nvidia-graphics/
    using my 1080p tv screen i end up with a large black border around my splash screen
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; July 19th, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post