Thread: After deleting Ubuntu partitions, GNU GRUB appears

Beans

Unhappy After deleting Ubuntu partitions, GNU GRUB appears

Hi,

I have bought new HP laptop, which had Ubuntu installed already, I was disappointed that it had many bugs (or it seemed to me so, I had zero knowledge and experience on Linux/Ubuntu), so I decided to install windows on my laptop, which I had on DVD. While I was installing it I deleted every partition and created new ones (before installing I choose option CD/DVD *something* (UEFI), I don't even know what is UEFI) and I ended up with GNU GRUB (another hell), when I type 'exit' this screen loads

Please don't get me wrong posting this in ubuntuforums, but I really need to uninstall ubuntu with everything and install other OS which I am familiar with. Actually I want to learn Ubuntu but don't have time for it at this moment.

Thank you for paying attention.

Beans

Re: After deleting Ubuntu partitions, GNU GRUB appears

Did you attempt to install windows complete?
    Which version of windows did you try to install?
    What happens when you select the second option on the menu "Windows Boot Manager"?
    UEFI is a new method of booting computers. Previously, a master boot record was used.
    I don't use UEFI myself but you can get a lot of information by doing an online search. Other members should be along who have experience with UEFI to make suggestions.

Beans

Its windows 8.1 64 bit. When i choose "Windows Boot Manager" same happens (GNU GRUB loads). I searched a lot. I don't want to use new methods like UEFI. Just need to make everything work normal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

maybe grub has been installed on a hidden partition, or you have both a hdd & a ssd or a combo; check with a live partitioning tool and remove that partition; if you does not find one, then do a low level format
    http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-...l-Format-Tool/
    you then be ready for a clean installation after a cold reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Almost all new systems since Windows 8 came out are UEFI. And that is how all new systems are configured. You have to force an install in the 35 year old BIOS install, but have to buy a new Windows license as the Windows 8 OEM license is stored in UEFI.

If Windows is installed, then you should just select the Windows in screen shot you posted.
    Also please attach screen shots, not post in line. Not everyone has High Speed Internet.
    You can easily attach with advanced editor and paperclip icon.
    Last edited by oldfred; July 6th, 2015 at 06:43 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.