Thread: help me finding a software

Beans

help me finding a software

Is there a software where I can log websites that each user on the network has visited? Something like DMA radius Connection Tracking System(CTS). I can log both web sites visited and also the port numbers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: help me finding a software

Only the edge router has this data, so you need to get the data from it. SNMP is the normal way. Setting up a remote rsyslog from the router is normal.

Of course, if you have a proxy server, which is mandatory on the network, those logs will have that data too. If a transparent proxy is used, then userids won't be known, but you can setup the proxy to require user authentication, which can be logged. squid is the normal proxy for Unix systems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As you give no indication of what operating system you are using a bit impossible to answer your question. Are you the network admin and have control over this local area network? Which OS are you using?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    As you give no indication of what operating system you are using a bit impossible to answer your question. Are you the network admin and have control over this local area network? Which OS are you using?
    i'm using ubuntu 12.04 lts. yes i'm network admin.

Beans

If all you need to do is identify which IP addresses made which requests, then a transparent Squid proxy would be all you need. If users roam around and use various devices, you'd need to require authentication in Squid as well.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    If all you need to do is identify which IP addresses made which requests, then a transparent Squid proxy would be all you need. If users roam around and use various devices, you'd need to require authentication in Squid as well.
    After searching on the web for some time i found that ntopng is the program that suits my needs. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by abdieltatpati View Post
    After searching on the web for some time i found that ntopng is the program that suits my needs. Thank you.
    Thanks for posting what you've decided. That tool looks VERY COOL, indeed. If you could post a follow up in a week, that would be great, but I completely understand if that isn't possible.