Thread: Game recommended running on ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Game recommended running on ubuntu

Hello guys I'm running Ubuntu latest version on my laptop in a virtual machine uninstalled it etc gave it 2gb ram and some other things but I'm wondering what games are good that people like to play on Ubuntu and ruling steam out of this because i don't like long downloads just like to know some games that can run fine with in Ubuntu from the software centre with no lag etc at the minimum thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Game recommended running on ubuntu

You should be able to run: Warzone 2100, uqm (the Ur-Quan Masters), Battle for Wesnoth, 7kaa (Seven Kingdoms Ancient Adversaries), Freeciv, probably 0AD, and a bunch more.

To help you in your search, open a terminal and type this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Synaptic is pretty much the best package manager, and is much faster than the Ubuntu Software Center. It also has a very good search feature. Search for "strategy games," or "arcade games," of "first person shooter" or really, whichever type of game you're looking to play. There are very few real-time strategy games, you should know.

Steam has some big downloads, because Steam has some big games, but so do the Ubuntu file repositories, and I have had to wait on downloads to finish with both. Steam has some crackerjack games which are free to play (and to install), including Team Fortress, DOTA2, Robocraft, WakFu, Destination Sol, and several others. Steam has over 1000 Linux games, from indie to AAA games, and they frequently have sales to make buying a bit more affordable.

It would help if you also posted the output of this:
    Code:
    lspci
    This will allow people to see what your laptop has going for it.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

battle for wesnoth

anyway you can add the playdeb ppa they ahve a few more. but if i udnerstand oyu are asking what you cna play in virtualbox. well depends on the PCU power. but usually the more graphically intense games wont' work well. but some light ones an dstartegy games should work quite well.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

If you're looking for a MMORPG, Ryzom runs easier on Linux than windows. This laptop could barely run it, much less in a playable fashion on windows but runs fine on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    battle for wesnoth

anyway you can add the playdeb ppa <snip>
    And here's the link:http://www.playdeb.net/welcome/

I will say that some game updates from PlayDeb, including Battle for Wesnoth, have been some slow downloads. Still, you certainly should get its repository added to your list. The bleeding-edge versions of its programs keep you up-to-date, more so than the official repositories.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

try game named Cogs,sure you can run it! and its puzzle,from easy to harder,and hard.. then free game Pang! Bublee Shooter!, Tux racer!,etc.. really laptop and gaming do not go together in 99% of cases,but you can play some games...but 1st is not what you want ,its what your laptop can..

cpu,gpu matters and not only RAM what you mentioned..

if you or anybody still think laptop is for gaming ,just try Heaven Benchmark(or even more modern ones),if you will even run it,just see and remember feeling and FPS..and you will get picture for what is most of laptops are(and some desktops,too)..but you can play,and also do many FB games..and try some games in browser..

sorry but,really, laptop and gaming do not go together in 99% of cases...

but you can add real dedicated full size desktop graphic card to laptop, outside,and all is removable(it will run outside of laptop,with separate power supply)..if your cpu is capable and worth to give it that job..just to mention,as that exist(30-50usd),and its not expensive,but also you are then limited with laptop cpu,laptop ram..modern and strong laptop cpu are worth..i7 ,i5? you know laptop cpu are down clocked to produce less heat,and consume less power,and to stand longer on battery..what lead us,that laptop are build with mobility on 1st or 2nd place..and only some laptop which are build like sort of desktop replacement for all except gaming are worth this kind upgrade..and there are few very expensive laptops which are built for mid gaming in mind..

if you trying to do some gaming on laptop,just remember to lower,and lower resolution in game and game will become more and more playable..
    Last edited by sinisa1hr-z; July 10th, 2015 at 04:44 PM.

Beans

Pandum online run smoothly on ubuntu than on windows 7. ( http://www.pandum.net )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sinisa1hr-z View Post
    really laptop and gaming do not go together in 99% of cases,but you can play some games.
    not quite true. if you invest a bit more than 300-500 EUR it is quite easy to game on laptop (maybe not on ultra settings but still). then there are workstations, where you can get a used one relatively cheap and gaming laptops which will cost a lot when new and agin you can get a used one at descent price.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Check out GOG.com; it's a Steam-like service owned and run by the makers of the Witcher games, but has none of the things I despise Steam for (such as unacceptable TOS, mandatory required client, online login requirement, etc.). They have a large selection of games (not nearly as large as Steam, but new games are added often), all DRM-free, and many are fully compatible with Linux, particularly Ubuntu. System requirements are shown for each game, so you can make sure your computer should be able to handle it before buying, and you can see how big a download each game is. I get all my games from there and have been completely satisfied with their service!
    Last edited by giga+bytes; July 17th, 2016 at 09:23 PM.