Thread: iptables & Linux - How is it being handle in the real world?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

iptables & Linux - How is it being handle in the real world?

Hi all

I am currently using iptables on a raspberry pi with two rj-45 interfaces (eth0 and eth1) with an adapter on one usb port,
    so data can traverse through the device instead of in and out of the same interface.

My question in this regard is, what is done in the real world when we are talking firewalls and linux.
    Does big enterprise corporations sit and hand type their firewall rules in iptables or do they use a wrapper?

Are their some Linux distro's better at being used as a firewall instead of Debian / Ubuntu?

I am no stranger to access security (what do we call it?) with ACL's on Cisco devices and Cisco Pix's.
    But i am not that into iptables.

Its a quite open question.

Hope you all will send me feedback on the subject.

Thanks on advance.
    Kind regards

Beans

Re: iptables & Linux - How is it being handle in the real world?

I use a lengthy custom bash script to generate the rules. There are also third-party iptables scripts if you search the Internet.

Iptables is supported in the Linux kernel itself. What distro is being used really doesn't matter.

Most large installations are using Ciscos or similar routers, not Linux boxes running iptables, though they certainly could use those if they chose. "Nobody ever got fired for using IBM Cisco."
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to the Security sub-forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I use a lengthy custom bash script to generate the rules. There are also third-party iptables scripts if you search the Internet.
    Thanks for the reply Seiji!

Can i ask what your script does and if its seen as a wrapper.
    Do you for example say

"allow ssh from eth1 to eth0 and back"

And the script implements the rules for you based of that, or how does it work?

Beans

Mostly it consists of iterating over lists of IP addresses and specifying rules for them.
    Code:
    for a in $(cat /path/to/some/address/list) 
    do
       /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s $a  -j REJECT
    done
    For one client, we have a large number of such lists. For instance, the PR staff can visit Facebook, but not ordinary office staff.

I also run a script overnight that compiles the number of apparent spam emails sent from each remote IP address and adds iptables rules blocking access by the more egregious spammers.

All of these scripts use the iptables commands themselves without any wrapper.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I do what Seiji does on my home server, but for production, I use CSF to manage my firewall rules.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Does big enterprise corporations sit and hand type their firewall rules in iptables or do they use a wrapper?
    Firewalls are normally placed only are trust boundaries. Most enterprises have at most 2-3 such boundaries. e.g. 1 for VPN access, 1 for normal use and 1 for redundancy.

Therefore, there are less scalability issues compared to processes like patching which involves the majority of hosts on the network.

As mentioned earlier, shell scripts would normally suffice. If you really need to, there are a number of tools such as Puppet which can help manage iptables rules across many hosts.