Thread: Firefox: browser.newtab.url to go

Beans

Firefox: browser.newtab.url to go

Apparently, it won't be possible to have something like this in Firefox 41 onward:
    Code:
    browser.newtab.url;file:///home/vasa1/Dropbox/MyLinks.html
    This change, like many before it, will protect the user from malicious extensions.
    The browser.newtab.url preference is abused and should be removed.
    Source

An extension to restore just this feature is here: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefo...-tab-override/

I'm hoping the dev of Classic Theme Restorer, which already has a lot of useful features, will provide this one as well.

Beans

Re: Firefox: browser.newtab.url to go

Seems like this will only affect users who wants to have their own custom new tab page. They will need an extension.

Again I feel like the experienced users will have to pay for the the average joe who manage to get every sh** that mess with his browsers.

BUT, the tiles can still be disabled in two click by selecting ''blank'' in the setting of new tab. This won't change.

I am not concerned with this change but I don't like that advanced users are loosing in built-in cuztomization power and will therefore require a third-party to get it back..
    Last edited by night_sky2; June 30th, 2015 at 04:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Firefox: browser.newtab.url to go

Interesting!

I have been using Tab Mix Plus add-on for several years which has this new tab URL option, along with many others that I find incredibly useful in managing tabs. I hope this add-on will keep the option to choose what URL is used on a new tab. I also use Classic Theme Restorer in order to keep as much useful screen real-estate as possible.

Is it just local files as opposed to web-sites that will not be possible?