Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How 'well' does Ubuntu work for most of you guys?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How 'well' does Ubuntu work for most of you guys?

Daletec,

I hope you didn't misunderstand my thoughts regarding Ubuntu when quoting grahammechanical...
    If we want Ubuntu to work like a consumer product, then buy it pre-installed and then treat the device like a consumer product and not a techie product.
    My comments were not directed at the Ubuntu OS but the MS pre-installed consumer product Operating System bugginess.

The Ubuntu based Zorin OS I have is not pre-installed and has been a much more user friendly OS for me. I am very pleased with it.

I am looking forward to the next computer I come across so I can install an unvarnished version of Ubuntu and take it for a spin.
    Idjit
    Amish Country, PA USA

Beans

hey all, as a ubuntu 14.04 lts and ubuntu mate 14.04.2 lts the only problems i have are ati graphics card drivers issues and also integrated nvidia graphics adapters driver issues. now most of my ati cards are pci-e but are older cards from 2007 and most always i have to deal with issues from the git go. but always seem to find a fix to bring the desktop up and all seems to work good. why ati doesn't supply drivers i don't know. even some of my newer ati cards i can't find a proprietary driver. it seems that nvidia has always a proprietary driver to install. all my installs that have all intel hardware go without a hitch so in my opinion intel hardware is the way to go with linux.

all in all even with the driver issues using linux is a great learning experience for me. i find more help from the info from other posters issues that i can solve my minor ones and enjoy my linux distro. if you use ubuntu with unity desktop yes you better have some good powerful hardware. if not there are ubuntu mate or linux lite that run on older less powerful desktops.

just my experience and only my opinion. thanks for the space and enjoy using your linux distro.

the poorguy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bucky Ball,

FYI

I went to the Zorin forum and I found where the Zorin 9 OS Core and Zorin 9 OS Ultimate is based on the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Zorin states that its' OS is supported until 2019.
    Idjit
    Amish Country, PA USA

Beans

i have zorin os 9 core and it is good. i install it on alot of desktops that are donated to my church for people who can't afford to buy a pc. it is also a good way to make the change from windows operating system to linux for some.

the poorguy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Idjit_BoB View Post
    Bucky Ball,

FYI

I went to the Zorin forum and I found where the Zorin 9 OS Core and Zorin 9 OS Ultimate is based on the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Zorin states that its' OS is supported until 2019.
    Good news.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Idjit_BoB View Post
    Daletec,

I hope you didn't misunderstand my thoughts regarding Ubuntu when quoting grahammechanical...

My comments were not directed at the Ubuntu OS but the MS pre-installed consumer product Operating System bugginess.

The Ubuntu based Zorin OS I have is not pre-installed and has been a much more user friendly OS for me. I am very pleased with it.

I am looking forward to the next computer I come across so I can install an unvarnished version of Ubuntu and take it for a spin.
    No problem. Most of us, here, understand how to research and resolve issues for ourselves, most folks don't. I think most Windows users are in the same boat as self-install Linux users, no support other than what you can find. Manufacturers support their products with preinstalled OSes, I think was the intent of the original post, and folks expecting that type of support should definitely buy a product with Linux preinstalled, also. I think that was the intent. I purchase my laptops with whatever on them, as long as the hardware specs fit my needs, I then install Xubuntu and tune it to my liking. I do find I have put forth effort with regard to wlan or lan drivers, on occasion, but that is not Ubuntu's or Canonical's fault. Not being a Linux snob, as I try to recruit users, not run them off, but I think expectations are often unreasonable. Not saying yours are, just agreeing with the original poster's point of expectations. I think we're all on the same team, here.

Beans

Super!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Works great on System 76 Gazelle Pro which is just over a year old. Running Ubuntu 15.04 on the 4.1.1 kernel. No issues at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Daletec View Post
    No problem. Most of us, here, understand how to research and resolve issues for ourselves, most folks don't. I think most Windows users are in the same boat as self-install Linux users, no support other than what you can find. ... Not being a Linux snob, as I try to recruit users, not run them off, but I think expectations are often unreasonable. Not saying yours are, just agreeing with the original poster's point of expectations. I think we're all on the same team, here.
    Well said. I highlighted in bold the portions which are most true. How sad how one pays a Microsoft tax and receives no real service for it. My view regarding your comment on expectations... I try to never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.
    Last edited by Idjit_BoB; June 30th, 2015 at 11:07 PM.
    Idjit
    Amish Country, PA USA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Very well for most tasks except compatibility and performance issues with some games and hardware devices, but ofc that is a fault of the devs and manufacturers of those products, not Ubuntu. I always write them asking for linux support when I have the time and buy compatible hardware. I've not faced any problems with the nvidia drivers, although the graphical application recommended to install the wrong version for my graphics card. I've found 14.04 to be very stable and fast and I think I'll be using it until the next LTS comes out.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast