Thread: explain X Windows?

Beans

explain X Windows?

I'm not clear on what X Windows does. I'm reading that it's used for remote GUI. Does that mean I can display the desktop of say a remote Ubuntu machine?

Also, just to make sure, it has nothing to do with the default Terminal, right?
    Last edited by stupidquestion; June 13th, 2015 at 12:44 AM.

Beans

Re: explain X Windows?

xwindows is the graphical user interface(gui) it's what presnts what you see on the screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Explaining subjects can get complicated. So, read about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I did read the Wiki article briefly but was not sure how it related to Ubuntu. Like is it a separate program, or is it just the foundation of the Ubuntu GUI. From what you're saying it sounds like it's just the latter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's a layer in the foundation of Ubuntu. You can use it to display the graphical output of programs actually running on other machines. But mostly it just displays the output of programs running on the same machine.

Beans

I'm also reading that Ubuntu is abandoning X window in favor of something called Mir:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/ubuntu-dumps-x-window-system-creates-replacement-for-pc-and-mobile/

Beans

You really need to read a bit on this. Mir is a rewrite/refactoring, not a replacement.

Beans

X windowing is a very flexible platform. Yes, it can be used for remote windowing, but in practice it's usually run on localhost.