Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

I am a complete newbie at Ubuntu, so take it easy on me.

I duel boot Win XP Pro and (more importantly) Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    but at boot up GRUB shows about 6 Ubuntu 8.04s even though they all go to the same OS

Help?
    Thanks

PS I run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Studio Edition
    Last edited by mtcycler; June 11th, 2008 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by mtcycler View Post
    I am a complete newbe at Ubuntu, so take it easy on me.

I duel boot Win XP Pro and (more importanly) Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    but at boot up GRUB shows about 6 Ubuntu 8.04s even though they all go to the same OS

Help?
    Thanks
    Normally you will have the following in your Grub menu:

1: Ubuntu (You should use this one to boot into Ubuntu)
    2: Ubuntu Recovery mode (Goes straight to a terminal)
    3: 'Other Operating Systems' label (doesn't actually do anything, just seperates Ubuntu from Windows)
    4: Windows.

You may also have one which says 'memtest86' or something similar, which you can use if your computer is behaving weirdly.

Now: If you have more than 2 'Ubuntu' lines, it's probably just that you've got more than one kernel installed (You can read up about the Linux Kernel if you want, but basically it's just the version of Linux that you're using).

It's not a problem, and in fact it makes sense to have more than one kernel version available to you when you boot your computer, just in case the new kernel version has a problem and you need to go back to one which you know works. Take a look at the numbers on the right hand side of each 'Ubuntu' line - thats the Kernel version number. You will probably see at least 2 different numbers, with the top Ubuntu line being the latest version.

The general advice is - if you're uncertain, then leave it alone

You can get rid of the extra Ubuntu lines if you really want to, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, Thanks, I won't worry about it then.

David

Beans

Bro;

I am new in using Ubuntu....Where can I download your GrubEd Editor program.

Thanks....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyaltam View Post
    Bro;

I am new in using Ubuntu....Where can I download your GrubEd Editor program.

Thanks....
    Hello! Hope you're enjoying Ubuntu.

The editor can be downloaded from the first post in this thread. Please read the information in the first post, as there have been problems with GrubEd on the most recent versions of Ubuntu. In the worst case scenario - you might break the bootloader all together, and the only way to fix such a problem is by knowing how the bootloader works in the first place!

I have not yet tested GrubEd on Hardy Heron, and won't be able to for a little while. The editor should work fine on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn or earlier. If you still want to try GrubEd on a later version of Ubuntu (I wouldn't recommend it!) then please let me know how it goes!

Beans

Is there a way to assign a hotkey or key combination to each of the grub menu items?

I don't want to use the arrow keys since sometimes my monitor is turned off at boot time and I just need a key or key-stroke combination to select the OS.

I did Google around but could not seem to find anything related to this and came here hoping that Grubed may have such an option.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
    Harish

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shenoyh View Post
    Is there a way to assign a hotkey or key combination to each of the grub menu items?

I don't want to use the arrow keys since sometimes my monitor is turned off at boot time and I just need a key or key-stroke combination to select the OS.
    I don't know if such a feature exists, but if it does, the place to look is in the grub documentation. GrubED only handles common use cases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The current version of Ubuntu has a Start-Up Manager which you can use to edit GRUB (and other) settings.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

GRUB editing is really easy i think now. Especially I use a help from ubuntu-help.co.cc. If you also make the GRUB menu looks good then visit http://ubuntu-help.co.cc/index.php/u...loader-editing

Beans

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing. New version 17th September.

Tomosaur,
    Is there another way to invoke the install routine? I've been trying to run the installer from different folders, and each and everytime, no matter where I place the compressed file, I receive a terminal error stating 'no such file or directory exists'. I've tried extracting it into a different folder and cd to that directory but, terminal still can't find it.
    I realize that I'm basically still a newbie, but, your instructions are plain and simple. Its got me stumped.
    Does it make any difference that I'm running Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu?
    Thanks

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast