Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

The ./install is relative to where you are. The instructions assume you are within the GrubEd directory, but when you first open a terminal, it will put you in your home directory. Here are the steps you need to take to install GrubEd in your situation:
    Code:
    Open a terminal:
    cd Desktop/GrubEd
    sudo ./install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello:

I installed the script and all I changed was "Change the number of kernels Grub shows" to 3 I believe. Now when I bootup, I get to grub but nothing is listed. I try and type boot but it just gives me an error message, I believe it's looking for a file name. How do I boot back up so I can restore the grub? I did make a backup with the script before making a change.

Thanks for your help.

Beans

You can boot from the Live CD, mount your regular partition, and restore from there.

Beans
    Distro

EDIT: BUG FIXED, fixed version on first page.
    Last edited by Tomosaur; October 20th, 2006 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

mssever: Thanks for the response. I booted up on live cd. I was able to mount the partition. I tried to run the script again but it mentioned there was no grub. I was just trying to run the script to restore the original settings. Is there anyway to restore the menu.lst? Or recreate it so I can boot up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

With a little further investigation, I found the backup file in /boot/grub (makes sense). I just renamed the backup file and all is well. Thanks.

Beans

Bug report:

The function list_menu() beginning on line 60 could potentially clobber a file. It could also leave a file hanging around if GrubEd gets killed without having a chance to clean up after itself. The problem is the redirection to avail. If a file named avail already exists, it will be overwritten, then deleted.

I suggest inserting the following before line 62:
    Code:
    avail="/tmp/GrubEd-avail-$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S%N")"
    and replacing all subsequent occurances of avail with $avail. Using this filename will accomplish several things: 1) it's canonical to put temp files in /tmp. 2) If GrubEd dies an untimely death, the residual file will automatically deleted on reboot (when /tmp is cleaned). 3) It's extremely unlikely that any files will get clobbered. (A paranoid version would also make sure that the file doesn't exist before writing it.) 4) Because the filename includes a timestamp, it prevents symlink attacks.

Perhaps it would also be best to use absolute paths in $G_MENU and friends (line 490 ff)? That would obviate the need to cd to the proper directory, and be a little more robust, IMHO.

I also suggest changing line 493 to
    Code:
    P_FILE="/tmp/GrubEd-patch-$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S%N")"
    for the same reasons as stated above.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take it on board. The code is pretty sloppy, since this started out as a one-off script for myself which I just kept adding to. I've slowly worked through trying to clean stuff up, but I'm pretty busy at the moment (hence the drop in updates). I'll try and iron out more of the issues soon.

Beans
    Distro

Alright, made above reccomendations into latest version. Thanks for pointing them out, mssever

Also removed junk comments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Tomosaur

Thanks for the great program.

Just updated my 6.06 to 6.1 and the update had set the grub to .i386 rather than the generic (k7smp) kernel as the default boot. Knowing just enough to destroy my install your program probably saved me hours of flailing around.

So I did not know it you had been updated that currently your program works with 6.1 beta/rc or whatever it is today, but it does and I know because i rebooted and checked the changes I had made, time and kernel and both were applied properly.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast