Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

this is perfect since I have been having some problems with my grub recently.

been trying to get xp to boot from first harddrive secondary partition to no avail.

loaded the script and selected xp as default, and the progress bar doesnt show ANYTHING look into it, perhaps it has trouble with non-first partiton?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hmmm, odd. The script works simply by counting the number of menu items, rather than scanning your hard drives, so your problem may well be something to do with your menu.lst file. Have you tried choosing 'Direct Edit'? If you scroll down, you should be able to see the actual menu items. If you can't fix it, or don't know what to do, just paste it up here and I'll have a look over it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the script, It works well for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tomosaur. Nice work. Thanks a bunch.

IMHO: Need to get this into Edgy somehow.
    Registered Linux User #394763 <<-|->> Registered Ubuntu User #6417

Beans
    Distro

thanks tomasaur for this script!

Beans

I'm having a bit of trouble with choosing the default OS to load. After selecting my OS choice there's no confirmation message or option to go back to tasks; and when I check, via direct edit, the change has failed. I thought it might be to do with changing the number of kernels available first, but I tried again later and still the same behaviour. Any idea what's up here?

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm. The script makes use of vi to write to menu.lst. Do you have vi installed?

One thing which MAY cause a problem (although it shouldn't really) would be trying to alter the default OS before you ran 'update-grub'. Perhaps if you try running 'update-grub' before you try to change the default OS it would work. I'll have a look through the code now and see if theres anything obvious, but as far as I'm aware there's nothing that should be causing this - unless perhaps you managed to get the script running without root privileges (which again, should be impossible provided you didn't alter the script).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hey i'm having problems changing my default boot, and disabling memtest.
    i'm pretty sure it has something to do with me recently installing kubuntu on another partition. any suggestions? lemme know if you need menu.lst or anything.
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, throw the menu.lst my way please. If you have two /boot/grub/menu.lst files (one on each partition), send them both please, I'll see if anything obvious jumps out.

Beans

Fancy! I won't lie though the actual UI could be way more efficient choosing an option like that is just a bit annoying, now I know Zenity is limited for sure. But, until we get a nice out-of-the-box tool to mess with grub with a flashy frontend this surely is doable.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast