Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

the splash you see on the loading screen, right?
    yea exactly, theres stuff out there..but i can't seem to make it work

initially though i said that because i thought when you said grub splash you meant the boot splash...my misunderstanding
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hmm, changing the usplash is a little more complicated than I expected it to be. I have an idea to extend GrubEd to be more of a general configurator (basically, just put a new menu as the main, and have people select GrubEd to configure GRUB, or a different option to configure something else). I'm gonna lurk around a bit and see what people are having problems with.

The problems with changing the usplash are:
    1) I don't understand the actual requirements for a usplash image, and so can't throw one together myself to test it. If anyone can explain the requirements in more detail than are in the Ubuntu wiki, I'd be very grateful.
    2) I'm wary of implementing anything which will edit a user's system at kernel-level, which seems to be a requirement for changing the usplash. It could get dangerous, you see. I have a laptop I guess I could mess around with different kernels and dodgy usplash names, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, but it will likely take a bit longer to get any release of the script with usplash editing options.
    3) The way a usplash works will be changing when Edgy is released, according to some stuff I found floating on the internets. I'll have to poke around and see if usplash images will port properly to Edgy, and if not, figure out a way round it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well.... theres this

anyway i'm happy as ever with grubEd the way it is (I hate waiting on the stupid os selection)
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans
    Distro

Cheers for the link, that's more useful than the wiki

Beans

Does it have support for gfxboot ?

Beans
    Distro

EDIT: Did a search for gfxboot.

Nope, I'm afraid this is just completely different. It uses the default grub which comes with Ubuntu. I may look into a bit more and see if anything is possible, but as it is now, this script will not give any gfxboot specific editing methods. It looks as though gfxboot uses /boot/grub/menu.lst, so maybe this will stll work if you're using gfxboot, but I have had no experience with gfxboot myself, so I don't really know.
    Last edited by Tomosaur; August 12th, 2006 at 10:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

im getting an error when trying to insall

Code:
    andrewa@aroom2-desktop:~/Desktop/GrubEd$ ./install
    ls: /usr/share/doc/grubed/: No such file or directory
    ls: /boot/grub/images/: No such file or directory
    Installing GrubEd to /usr/bin/ ...
    install: cannot create regular file `/usr/bin/GrubEd': Permission denied
    Done
    Setting up splash image...
    Making image directory at /boot/grub/images ...
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/boot/grub/images/': Permission denied
    cp: target `/boot/grub/images/' is not a directory: No such file or directory
    Done.
    Setting up documentation...
    Making documentation directory at /usr/share/doc/grubed/ ...
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/doc/grubed/': Permission denied
    Done.
    Copying Documentation and uninstall script.
    install: target `/usr/share/doc/grubed/' is not a directory: No such file or directory
    install: target `/usr/share/doc/grubed/' is not a directory: No such file or directory
    Install completed successfully! Type 'gksudo GrubEd' to begin using GrubEd.
    There is a Launcher file which you can copy to your Desktop or Gnome panel in the same directory as this script.

Beans
    Distro

You need to run the install script as sudo. I actually cheated with the install script, even if it fails you get a success message, sorry about that

Anyway, use the sudo command to install, thus:
    Code:
    sudo ./install

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

awesome, works now.

Thankyou very much!

Beans

Question Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

G'day Folks!

A great little utility which makes selecting which kernel to boot much easier!

And I like the idea of a splash script but I've struck a problem with it.

When I set the image to show I lose my colours. I go back to white letters in a black rectangle with the splash image behind the rectangle and, naturally, no highlighting.

Any ideas?

Also, is it possible to edit Grub so that it shows which kernel is which? (i.e. the distro name in backets).

I have Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu all on the one HDD and, whilst I've noted down which hda is which it'd really nice to have the distro names listed next to the individual kernels.

I'll be away until Fri with (SOB!) no Internet access so please excuse any lack of reply to replies.

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Peter
    The partial victory will be when Redmond makes Linux versions of their software and the full victory will be when Redmond goes open source!

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast