Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Since the author of GrubEd, Tomasaur, hasn't posted about this or contacted me, I presume he doesn't have the time to pursue it. So I think I should post my edited version of his script and associated files. I'm attaching grubed-g.tar.gz
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm new to Linux and the more technical aspects of operating systems and computers in general so I was wondering if GrubEd will work (and how to use) in Windows or if it only works in Linux. I noticed that WinRAR can extract the files.

Also, it was noted that a bug occurs in Ubuntu "Gutsy Gibbon", but what I want to know is if it will work in Ubuntu "Hardy Heron". I know that it has not been released just yet, but I wanted to know if this bug is Ubuntu version specific or applies to all Ubunt releases.

Thank You In Advance
    Last edited by gtchamp7; April 4th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gtchamp7 View Post
    I'm new to Linux and the more technical aspects of operating systems and computers in general so I was wondering if GrubEd will work (and how to use) in Windows or if it only works in Linux. I noticed that WinRAR can extract the files.
    GrubEd is a bash script, so it'll only work in Linux unless you jump through a bunch of hoops. Even then, you'd still have trouble running update-grub to apply the changes.

I know nothing about WinRAR, but probably all it means when it is able to extract the files is that it knows about more archive formats than the standard Windows tools.

Beans

Gina,
    Just so you'll know, I had to reinstall my Dapper system this last weekend and tried your version of Grub Edit.
    It won't install in Dapper after numerous attempts. Finally fell back to the earlier version posted by Tomasaur in the first page of this thread. It worked fine.

Beans

Gina, just tried your update on my Gutsy64 based Ultimate Edition. The only thing that seems to NOT work is changing the default OS. I have quite a few on my list and it needs to be cleaned up. Not sure if that would have any effect on it.

Thanks, jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just a little heads up guys - I'm really sorry for not having posted for literally months. I've been really busy with uni and other general 'stuff', and just haven't had the time to either fix GrubEd or to pay any particular attention to it.

Apologies to Gina for not getting back to you - I do appreciate the help you've given here!

I finish uni at the end of May so hopefully I will finally be able to get back on track with this, but in the mean-time I have to focus on my dissertation and revision for exams, so I might disappear again for a few weeks!

Cheers,
    Tom

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jfg69 View Post
    Gina, just tried your update on my Gutsy64 based Ultimate Edition. The only thing that seems to NOT work is changing the default OS. I have quite a few on my list and it needs to be cleaned up. Not sure if that would have any effect on it.

Thanks, jerry
    Thank you for that I've got a couple of things to sort out on that script. I'm afraid I haven't had the time to look at it lately but it's on my list of things to do. I still have my website to update for Hardy too. Hopefully I'll manage to do some of these things soon
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    Just a little heads up guys - I'm really sorry for not having posted for literally months. I've been really busy with uni and other general 'stuff', and just haven't had the time to either fix GrubEd or to pay any particular attention to it.

Apologies to Gina for not getting back to you - I do appreciate the help you've given here!

I finish uni at the end of May so hopefully I will finally be able to get back on track with this, but in the mean-time I have to focus on my dissertation and revision for exams, so I might disappear again for a few weeks!

Cheers,
    Tom
    That's alright Tom - I appreciate you're very busy - been busy myself lately but I'm hoping to get back to it as I said above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Thank you for that I've got a couple of things to sort out on that script. I'm afraid I haven't had the time to look at it lately but it's on my list of things to do. I still have my website to update for Hardy too. Hopefully I'll manage to do some of these things soon
    Not a problem on this end, I manually edited what I needed to. Meanwhile, I have moved on to Hardy-based Ultimate Edition x64.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

There is now a GRUB menu editor in the repositories called QGRUBEditor which has a rather nice GUI front end. Use Synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) with either it's name or "Grub Menu" in the Search box to find it to download and install.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast