Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Sorry for rebumping but I had to update again - there was a possible conflict with another program, so I caught that and fixed it. If you're getting weird behaviour, I would recommend you delete your current version and download the latest. This is mostly an optimisation update, no new features this time. For anyone editing this script for their own needs, certain things in the program have been re-written and a few extra (mostly cosmetic) functions added. The changelog above should explain a bit more.

Again, nothing really new added this time, just a few alterations to the code. The help file has also been renamed to something a little more GrubEd specific, to help with a problem I'm currently experience myself (but which isn't relevant if you follow the installation instructions above).

Beans
    Distro

NEW UPDATE: 09 August 06:

Changelog:
    Code:
    #10 August '06
    #Added a quick check for /boot/grub/
    #	--NOTE--On ubuntuforums.org, lots of people seem to be playing around with multiple installs of grub
    #		While not wanting to cripple functionality, I don't want to be held responsible for them messing
    #		their system up. Now, the script will check for /boot/grub/, and if it's not present, exits.
    #		I have no idea what the repurcussions of multiple /boot/grub/ directories is, and I don't particularly
    #		want to find out.
    #Removed all reference to the re-order menu feature in the code, but kept a version back which includes it.
    #	--NOTE--I see no reason why anyone would want to do this. The problem is not only in implementing it, but
    #	        the changes just simply will not last if you use any of the other options.
    #Added an 'installer'. It copies GrubEd to /usr/bin, and makes a documentation directory at /usr/share/doc/grubed.
    #Included an example Launcher. Paste it onto your desktop/panel/whatever to use it.
    #Made an 'uninstaller'. It will live in /usr/share/doc/grubed/.
    #	--NOTE--Usage is 'sudo /usr/share/doc/grubed/uninstall'
    Completely remove your current version before using this, installation and usage is significantly different in this version.

Once installed, you can delete the initial folder.

The download includes a launcher which you can copy to your desktop or panel, since quite a few people have been having trouble using shortcuts to use GrubEd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nifty, thanks for showing me this, howto is easy to follow...even for me
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

INSTALLATION:

From the terminal, cd to the directory this help file is in, and type:
    sudo ./install
    Installation from then on is automatic.
    Please forgive the ignorance of the following question. How do I "cd to the directory"?
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro

When you open a terminal, you will begin in your home directory. Let's say your user name is 'spellbinder', then your home directory would be:
    /home/spellbinder/

Now, let's say when you unzipped the file, it created a folder in /home/spellbinder/Desktop/GrubEd

In the terminal, you would type the following command:
    Code:
    cd ./Desktop/GrubEd
    The dot just means 'here', so quite literally, that command says 'start here, go to Desktop, go to GrubEd'.

When you're in the GrubEd folder, you would type 'sudo ./install' and everything should work from there

cd basically just means 'Change Directory'.

Beans
    Distro

@ Tomosaur

Been using Ubuntu for nearly 8 months. I can't believe I've never needed that command (hence my embarrassing question).

Thanks. Worked well.
    Last edited by Uncle Spellbinder; August 11th, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

Beans
    Distro

Haha no worries, everyone's gotta learn somehow

Beans
    Distro

This is quite nice. Backed everything up then changed colors. And as I've not logged on to Windows in nearly a month, changed the default OS to Ubuntu.

Now, If there were something as easy as this script for the boot screen, I'd be in Linux heaven.

Beans
    Distro

Hehe, well, we'll see. I don't know much about editing the boot screen, but right now I'm working on letting people select a grub splash image (and I even included my own, aren't I nice ). Hopefully it'll be ready for download later tonight, just trying to get one last problem fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

no kidding, maybe i'm retarded but no matter what i try for usplash i can't get it to work..
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge"

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast