Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

hi

Looks nice, but I have some troubles installing the script. (I think) I followed the instructions exactly, but I get this back after typing in the password (and thus the start of the install?):

Code:
    lb@lb-desktop:~/Desktop/grubed$ sudo sh ./install
    ./install: 23: deps[1]=zenity: not found
    ./install: 24: deps[2]=vi: not found
    ./install: 25: deps[3]=grep: not found
    ./install: 26: deps[4]=diff: not found
    ./install: 27: deps[5]=patch: not found
    Checking dependencies...

./install: 37: Syntax error: Bad substitution
    What is wrong?

Thanks in advance
    L

P.S.: Please keep in mind I'm completely new to Ubuntu when you reply...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by brolzwerver View Post
    hi

Looks nice, but I have some troubles installing the script. (I think) I followed the instructions exactly, but I get this back after typing in the password (and thus the start of the install?):

Code:
    lb@lb-desktop:~/Desktop/grubed$ sudo sh ./install
    ./install: 23: deps[1]=zenity: not found
    ./install: 24: deps[2]=vi: not found
    ./install: 25: deps[3]=grep: not found
    ./install: 26: deps[4]=diff: not found
    ./install: 27: deps[5]=patch: not found
    Checking dependencies...

./install: 37: Syntax error: Bad substitution
    What is wrong?

Thanks in advance
    L

P.S.: Please keep in mind I'm completely new to Ubuntu when you reply...
    Hmm - that's an odd one. If the install script can't find one of the needed programs, then it will inform you, but that error looks like the script itself is wrong. Did you download the script from the first page of this thread?

If the install script is set to be executable you can run it using 'sudo ./install' rather than 'sudo sh ./install'. In my experience, using the sh command can cause problems, but I've never seen this particular issue before. If you don't know whether the script is executable, just type:

Code:
    chmod +x ./install
    while in the same directory as the install script.

Try running it without the 'sh' and see if that works.

Unfortunately I won't be able to look into this until late next week, as I'm going to be very busy over the weekend and much of the week. Sorry!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    Hmm - that's an odd one. [...]

If the install script is set to be executable you can run it using 'sudo ./install' rather than 'sudo sh ./install'. In my experience, using the sh command can cause problems, but I've never seen this particular issue before. If you don't know whether the script is executable, just type:

Code:
    chmod +x ./install
    while in the same directory as the install script.

Try running it without the 'sh' and see if that works.
    [...]
    Thanks, this way it worked!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How do I install this script?

I download the GrubEd.zip to my home/nicky/

How do I run the installment?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1uniquegeek06 View Post
    How do I install this script?

I download the GrubEd.zip to my home/nicky/

How do I run the installment?

The file should be called 'grubed.zip' if you want the latest version, which has several bug-fixes.

Anyway, you should be able to double-click the .zip file then choose where to extract it. Once you've done that, open up the terminal, and use the 'cd' command to change directory to wherever the unzipped files are. For example, if you unzipped the file to "/home/nicky/grubed", you would type:

Code:
    cd /home/nicky/grubed
    From there, use the following commands to install the script:
    Code:
    chmod +x ./install
    sudo ./install
    You will be asked for your password, but you won't see it being typed, so be sure to spell it correctly.

Once the script is installed, you can close the terminal window, hit alt+f2, then type 'gksudo grubed'. You can create a launcher if you wish, just be sure to use 'gksudo grubed' as the command to launch it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tomosaur, thank you for the superb tool Now that I know how to edit GRUB I don't need a GUI but it was absolutely instrumental in helping me to understand GRUB and get the "courage" to jump in there.

After the deserved praises, one thought and an insignificant "bug" to offer in further feedback:

- If you first set which OS to boot by default, and then choose how many kernels to display when there are more than one available, the default boot number is not updated. For instance if you had a dual boot like this:

linux 2.6
    (recovery)

linux 2.5
    (recovery)

other line

Open Winder View 200x

...and you set it to open the Winder by default. It'd number it as 5 if I'm not mistaken. That's great, but if you then went and had it edit it for one kernel version you'd have no number 5 and the Winder at number 3, but the menu.lst would still have default set to non existant number 5... hope the explanation makes sense...

Finally the "bug". If running grubed from konsole in kubuntu I get this non-fatal and evidently insignificant error:

Code:
    (zenity:6445): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_copy_to_image: assertion `src_y >= 0' failed
    You shouldn't call /sbin/update-grub. Please call /usr/sbin/update-grub instead!
    Don't know what it means, but grubed works perfectly despite it. Again, thanks for the nifty tool.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look over the weekend and put the fixed version up on here

The error message is new to me, but I will try and find the cause of the problem

Beans

Things like this really should be in the release. Most people know that a high percentage of people dual boot with windows. For a user who wants windows to be the default option that boots up, they will have to edit grub, which most people would prefer a gui frontend instead of editing an asci file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Tomosaur, wonderful script. Fixed a lot of my need and I have added a small link to here from my blog.

I hope more people find out about it.

Now, all we need is a brave guy/gal to code the dual screen
    Visit my blog at http://linux.ferhatbingol.com
    Dedicated to Dell Laptops and Ubuntu 7.04 (recently upgraded to 8.04 and 12 days left to 8.10)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSwigger View Post
    Tomosaur, thank you for the superb tool Now that I know how to edit GRUB I don't need a GUI but it was absolutely instrumental in helping me to understand GRUB and get the "courage" to jump in there.

After the deserved praises, one thought and an insignificant "bug" to offer in further feedback:

- If you first set which OS to boot by default, and then choose how many kernels to display when there are more than one available, the default boot number is not updated. For instance if you had a dual boot like this:

linux 2.6
    (recovery)

linux 2.5
    (recovery)

other line

Open Winder View 200x

...and you set it to open the Winder by default. It'd number it as 5 if I'm not mistaken. That's great, but if you then went and had it edit it for one kernel version you'd have no number 5 and the Winder at number 3, but the menu.lst would still have default set to non existant number 5... hope the explanation makes sense...

Finally the "bug". If running grubed from konsole in kubuntu I get this non-fatal and evidently insignificant error:

Code:
    (zenity:6445): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_copy_to_image: assertion `src_y >= 0' failed
    You shouldn't call /sbin/update-grub. Please call /usr/sbin/update-grub instead!
    Don't know what it means, but grubed works perfectly despite it. Again, thanks for the nifty tool.
    Righty ho, update is now available (check the first page of this thread ).

The problem about the default boot not being updated still isn't 'fixed' - but GrubEd will at least now prompt users to re-select the default boot option after the OS list has been modified using the options GrubEd provides. Hopefully this will mean people won't get caught out, but it's not an ideal solution. Hopefully this will just be a temporary solution to the problem - if users don't just ignore the warnings then hopefully the should be fine.

Obviously, if users use the Direct Edit option to change their boot list, then they're on their own!

As for the GTK error, I couldn't reproduce it :S

The part about not using '/sbin/update-grub' I think is down to you having messed up paths. Try the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    If /sbin/ appears BEFORE /usr/sbin/, then I think that's the cause of your problem. To fix it, open ~/.bashrc in a text editor, then at the bottom of the file, copy the output of the above command into an export instruction, but make sure /usr/sbin comes before /sbin. So, for example, you would use:
    Code:
    #Fix the PATH variable to look for user programs before system programs
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
    Then save your .bashrc file, log out, then log back in again. Hopefully the update-grub problem will not appear again.

There are some other things I've found which I want to fix, but none of them are all that serious - just usability stuff really (as a special bonus, I've finally removed the annoying 'Do you want to perform a new task?' box ).

Hope that helps you out!

Tom

Oh, and Ferhat - thanks for the kind words and publicity

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast