Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

is there anyway to make GrubEd screen size bigger ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    is there anyway to make GrubEd screen size bigger ?
    The GUI for GrubEd is controlled through Zenity, which by default simply restricts itself to the smallest size it needs to be. It's possible there's a size parameter, but I can't remember off the top of my head. If you fancy taking a look at the zenity documentation ('man zenity' in the terminal), you may be able to find something relevant. If you do find something, you can go through the GrubEd script yourself and change the sizes. If you don't feel confident doing that then I'll take a look in a few days and see what can be done. I can't look myself at the moment as I don't have access to my own computer (stuck with Windows for the time being!).

Thanks for the interest

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing. New version 6th August.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    The script makes use of zenity, a program which displays dialog boxes. Make sure you have zenity enabled on your system.

As an absolute beginner (to Linux) this is the sort of sentence that really puts me off. Couldn't your
    script make a test to see if "zenity" is "enabled" (whatever "enabled" means) ?

Beans
    Hidden!

In the terminal
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install zenity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Thanks Tomosaur,
    I looked at GrubEd and its over my head what to do. Looked at man page, same thing.
    I can strech the screen but the next one goes back to the original size.
    Thanks again for the great prg, cant wait for the splash editor !
    cecil pierce

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by You bunt to? View Post
    As an absolute beginner (to Linux) this is the sort of sentence that really puts me off. Couldn't your
    Zenity is installed by default with Ubuntu. Tomosaur, perhaps you could revise your howto to reflect that. The only people who don't have zenity are those who have explicitly removed it. (I suppose that some other distros might not include zenity by default.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Zenity is installed by default with Ubuntu. Tomosaur, perhaps you could revise your howto to reflect that. The only people who don't have zenity are those who have explicitly removed it. (I suppose that some other distros might not include zenity by default.)
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind.

Most of you may have noticed that I haven't released any updates to GrubEd for a while now. I've been very busy since just before Christmas last year and haven't really had time to work on anything except uni projects. The python, 'more universal' version is indefinately delayed for the time being for this reason, I just can't spend any time on it at the moment.

You bunt to?:
    It's perfectly possible, sure. The problem is in the fact that GrubEd is currently being used on a variety of distributions. The exact method of getting and installing zenity may vary depending on distribution. If you're using Ubuntu (ie, not Kubuntu or Xubuntu), then GrubEd should work fine without any extra setup.

If zenity is not installed on your system (you can check by typing 'dpkg -l zenity' in the terminal, or typing 'zen' and hitting tab twice, then checking the list of programs that is displayed. If zenity is not there, then you need to install it), then you can install it using the command Frak gave (provided you're using an Ubuntu variant).

If that command returns an error, then you need to install zenity from here:
    http://directory.fsf.org/zenity.html

I'll update the information in the help pages some time this week, though, and try to make the installation process a bit more 'automatic'. Thanks for the interest in GrubEd though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

First of all, I am running Kubuntu and had to do 'sudo apt-get install zenity' to get it to work. I can't recall having had anything to do with Zenity in the past (removing or otherwise).

Secondly, the splash screen was nice, but I get the black square right smack in the middle with all the menu options in. The splash screen can only be seen around the edges where there is nothing going on.

Thirdly, custom colours didn't work. Instead of showing colours, it showed nothing. I had to blindly choose between the options without seeing what I had selected.

Any ideas why this is so?

[EDIT: After removing custom colours the splash screen covered the whole screen, and everything looked dandy! (even if the text was just in black and white) I guess I'll try again at a later date. Now I will hunt for awesome splash screens!]
    Last edited by Nightmist; April 23rd, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmist View Post
    First of all, I am running Kubuntu and had to do 'sudo apt-get install zenity' to get it to work. I can't recall having had anything to do with Zenity in the past (removing or otherwise).
    Zenity makes use of GTK+, so it is not shipped by default with Kubuntu, which uses KDE as it's environment. I will work on getting the installer script to detect zenity and any other dependencies and offer to download and install it, but I have no date penned for the updated version, as I'm pretty busy at the moment.

Secondly, the splash screen was nice, but I get the black square right smack in the middle with all the menu options in. The splash screen can only be seen around the edges where there is nothing going on.
    I'm fairly sure this only happens when you try to use custom colours with a splash screen. Grub behaves bizarrely when you enable both, so I'm afraid it's an either/or situation. Just having colours enabled will cause this problem, in my experience (regardless of whether you actually alter the colours it uses) so try disabling colours and seeing if that improves things. The help file should contain a little more information.
    Thirdly, custom colours didn't work. Instead of showing colours, it showed nothing. I had to blindly choose between the options without seeing what I had selected.

Any ideas why this is so?
    Again, if you have a splash and custom colours at the same time, this kind of thing happens. The behaviour is unpredictable at best, and as it's a grub issue (not a GrubEd issue), there's not much I can do about it I'm afraid, aside from recommend you use either a splash, or custom colours, but not both.

There are other bootloaders you could experiment with which provide more customisation options. For example, you could take a look at GfxBoot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, I edited my post right as you posted I guess. I found out the same as you, but glad to have it confirmed.

Nice work, by the way. Next thing would be an easier way to edit the various menu options in the Grub menu, but I guess someone already requested that

Thanks.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast