Thread: Which Programming Language should I learn for making softwares for LINUX?

Beans

Exclamation Which Programming Language should I learn for making softwares for LINUX?

Hi,
    I have been learning SHELL SCRIPTING since 3 months, and I will soon learn the advanced shell scripting.
    I also have the knowledge of Java Core.
    But I wanted to know, which programming language should I learn which will help me to write Programs after I get job in any company. I read in few threads that C++ and Python are good.
    My queries are:
    1) Which programming language should I go for first, C++ OR Python OR something you experts may suggest?
    2) I wish to make GUI apps (front and backend BOTH), the same what is ASP.NET in Windows, so which books should I refer (the issue is that it should be available in India too)
    3) Are there "playlists" available for the course I want to learn? (If yes, please give me the link)

I hope I was clear with my ques, please give me a detailed answer, in not very technical terms, since I am just a student who wants to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Qt

Quote Originally Posted by sarang3 View Post
    2) I wish to make GUI apps
    Qt will make that a lot easier. It is cross-platform and used by many major applications. It is in the repository and it uses C++ but there are bindings for Python as well as a few other languages.

Beans

Re: Which Programming Language should I learn for making softwares for LINUX?

Sir, Last question,
    Is there any difference between QT C++ programming for WINDOWS AND LINUX?
    Like, for Linux the structure of the program or writing style of the program will change, in comparison to Windows?
    I have got a playlist in youtube. The guy performed the programming in Windows.
    Will it be same for Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sir, Last question,
    Is there any difference between QT C++ programming for WINDOWS AND LINUX?
    Like, for Linux the structure of the program or writing style of the program will change, in comparison to Windows?
    I have got a playlist in youtube. The guy performed the programming in Windows.
    Will it be same for Linux?
    It depends on what GUI framework is used. Some frameworks such as Qt or GTK have Linux and Windows versions, others are Windows-only.

Otherwise the fundamentals of GUI programming are the same everywhere (event loop, event handling, threading), even if some languages and/or frameworks can make things easier, so what you learn with a given language+framework can be re-used with another language-framework pair.
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In a typical day at work, I have to program in C++, Java and Bash.

On rare occasions, I have to develop/maintain Windows command-script. On other occasions, develop in Python and JavaScript. On rarer occasions, I have to deal with Perl.

Beans

Hi,
    I have been learning SHELL SCRIPTING since 3 months, and I will soon learn the advanced shell scripting.
    I also have the knowledge of Java Core.
    But I wanted to know, which programming language should I learn which will help me to write Programs after I get job in any company. I read in few threads that C++ and Python are good.
    My queries are:
    1) Which programming language should I go for first, C++ OR Python OR something you experts may suggest?
    2) I wish to make GUI apps (front and backend BOTH), the same what is ASP.NET in Windows, so which books should I refer (the issue is that it should be available in India too)
    3) Are there "playlists" available for the course I want to learn? (If yes, please give me the link)

I hope I was clear with my ques, please give me a detailed answer, in not very technical terms, since I am just a student who wants to learn.
    This question has been asked many times before in many places online. What it boils down to is that there are many reasonable programming languages, and all of them have slightly different purposes. You'll need to learn more than one (or even more than a few) if you want to become a serious programmer. Which one you start with isn't particularly important IMO. Just pick whatever interests you the most.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cyberslayer View Post
    This question has been asked many times before in many places online. What it boils down to is that there are many reasonable programming languages, and all of them have slightly different purposes. You'll need to learn more than one (or even more than a few) if you want to become a serious programmer. Which one you start with isn't particularly important IMO. Just pick whatever interests you the most.
    Your answer sums up everything quite well. If I can add one more thing, the OP should focus on becoming an expert (or learn for the first time) the programming language that his/her respective employer is expecting them to know, and for which they are paying him/her to know.

Beans

Native GUIs are overrated. Qt/GTK and C/C++ is a fair answer for that particular question if he really means that he wants to build native Linux GUI apps. An easier route is of course Python and its bindings to the windowing toolkits.

However, a lot of stuff happens on servers these days and if he wants to both use Linux and have a marketable skill, Java is not a bad answer at all, plus Javascript for the front-end development. The JVM is a very solid runtime that runs even other languages; I have been messing around with Clojure.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode