Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good antivirus for Ubuntu?

Beans

A Good antivirus for Ubuntu?

Good morning, i'm new in the Ubuntu world and I need a good antivirus for my pc, can anyone help me? Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: A Good antivirus for Ubuntu?

You don't need antivirus in Linux, including Ubuntu. Some people install AV as a way to protect Windows users but I totally disagree with that. Windows users should install AV on their ends, it is not my job to babysit them.

Beans

Ok thanks a lot, but there are viruses or malware on Ubuntu?Because I often use the computer to make payments and I would not have a problem ...
    Last edited by Francesco_Verlato; May 27th, 2015 at 09:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In 13 years of using Linux on my desktop and reading bazilions of articles and forum entries and blogs, I've never heard of a desktop user having to deal with a virus. I know it's counter intuitive, but Windows and it's wide open border is the biggest part of the problem, not computing itself. Linux is a small slice of the desktop pie for one thing. And two, it's very difficult to construct a Linux-effective virus, much less one that can spread on any kind of scale. Email is likely the biggest vulnerability we all have. Don't open any email you don't recognize. It just takes one. But even then it's likely designed for the easy pickings of Windows. Payment information out on the internet is fair game, at least once it leaves your computer, but not so much on your end with a desktop Linux system.

Of course the rule of thumb with the press is - it's never as bad as they say it is nor as good as they say it is.
    Last edited by iamjiwjr; May 25th, 2015 at 04:54 PM.

Beans

I haven't used any anti-virus softwares in Ubuntu for quite some time, so I can't recommend one.

The most import thing I can think of, as it applies to browsing security, is to keep the system up to date. Google and Mozilla are always finding and fixing browser security issues.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

If you really want to tackle the antivirus security software , I recommend using ClamAV and LMD - Linux Malware Detect(both of which you will have to configure yourself or look for best practice configuration options). Otherwise , for using a brand name antivirus , Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Comodo , Eset -NOD32 and even Avast and AVG have linux versions.

Some of these are useful as 3rd party LivceCD scanners which you can boot your computer of of and do a scan of desired disks without booting into your installed operating system.That way you can make sure there is no malicious software running in the background or still hidden in your OS's memory.

I recommend installing or running these inside virtual machines to get a feel of how they act / look without messing up you host computer installment.

Remember though it's all about perception. The more you learn about Linux best security practices, you'll find that there might not be a need for these products in your daily computing needs.

Beans

Howdy,

The Linux ecosystem has a different mindset than the Windows ecosystem. On Linux, if a piece of malware is identified, the exploit is fixed within minutes, thus rendering the malware ineffective. On Windows, when malware is detected, effort is expended by commercial 3rd parties in blocking the malware, not on fixing the actual problem and MS may publish a fix 20 or so years later, if they can ever be rsed to.

So, if you are worried, keep auto-update turned on. That is effectively the Linux anti-virus system.

Beans

Also in linux you tend not to download random software from the internet. In Windows it is a sport.

Beans

Thanks everyone, I'll be careful, but be aware that many malware not work reassures me, thank you very much to all
    Last edited by Francesco_Verlato; May 27th, 2015 at 08:59 AM.

If you can afford it, buy a router.
    Install, configure and use NoScript and AdBlock* (firefox addons).
    Stick to the repositories.
    Update often.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast