Thread: [SOLVED]Ubuntu 64 bit & Nvidia GTX 670 & Steam OpenGL is not working!

Beans

[SOLVED]Ubuntu 64 bit & Nvidia GTX 670 & Steam OpenGL is not working!

Hello, i have search the internet and try different things, but can not get a working solution.
    Here is some information about my issue with pictures.

First i wrote the following code to see what would happen:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep version
    And this is the output i got:

Code:
    patrik@patrik:~$ glxinfo | grep version
    server glx version string: 1.4
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.4
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 331.113
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.113
    OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    This is how my Nvidia settings look like:

And this is the message i got from Steam:

I would be very happy if i can get suggestions what to do and try to get a working solution.
    Many thanks!
    Last edited by patrikmellq; May 25th, 2015 at 08:52 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 64 bit & Nvidia GTX 670 & Steam OpenGL is not working!

NOTE I reinstall Ubuntu LTS 64 bit and the Nvidia 331 recommended drive before i made this changes, last i install Steam after i made the changes and it works great with no errors.

The key is that steam (and any other 32-bit program, for that matter) need to load the 32-bit libGL.so library. However, the nvidia driver packages in Ubuntu Raring 64-bit (such as nvidia-304, nvidia-304-updates, nvidia-319, etc.) don't properly configure ldconfig to use the nvidia version of libGL.so for 32-bit programs (like steam and tf2). So steam and games like tf2 will end up loading some other non-nvidia graphics library. This causes steam to warn you about not using direct rendering (because you're using software rendering instead) and games like tf2 to fail to start altogether. Fortunately, the fix for this is really simple:

1.) In /usr/lib, there is a directory called something like nvidia-304 or nvidia-304-updates or nvidia-319 etc., which holds the nvidia OpenGL libraries.
    If that directory is called nvidia-304, for instance, you'd want to, as root, edit the file /usr/lib/nvidia-304/alt_ld.so.conf (which you'll notice is currently blank) and add the lines:

Code:
    /usr/lib32/nvidia-304
    /usr/lib/nvidia-304
    If that directory is something else, like /usr/lib/nvidia-304-updates you'd want to edit the file /usr/lib/nvidia-304-updates/alt_ld.so.conf as root and add the lines:

Code:
    /usr/lib32/nvidia-304-updates
    /usr/lib/nvidia-304-updates
    And if your directory is /usr/lib/nvidia-<something else>, you'd want to edit /usr/lib/nvidia-<something else>/alt_ld.so.conf as root and add the lines:

Code:
    /usr/lib32/nvidia-<something else>
    /usr/lib/nvidia-<something else>
    You get the idea...

2.) In the linux terminal, run the command:

Code:
    sudo ldconfig
    3.) Restart steam/Install Steam. You'll notice that there's no warning about not using direct rendering anymore. You'll also be able to play games like tf2 again.

Above you need to use Nono to change the alt_ld.so.conf file.
    For example:

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/lib/nvidia-331-prime/alt_ld.so.conf
    When you add the two lines you save the input with "ctrl o" and Enter and Exit Nano with "ctrl x"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: [SOLVED]Ubuntu 64 bit & Nvidia GTX 670 & Steam OpenGL is not working!

I had no problems updating using the download directly from Nvidia.

Beans

What do you mean by having no problems? - did you download Nvidia driver direct and Steam work with out any modifications as i describe in the topic above?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I've installed Nvidia and Steam with 14.04. For 15.04 I've downloaded from Nvidia the latest driver and simply run the installer after 15.04 update.
    All fine.
    But anyway your description surely helps some people.