Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: partclone image recovery

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: partclone image recovery

I used Redo Backup which has a nice frontend for partclone. perhaps it is time to switch to clonezilla. Anyway it works kind of in same way - I booted live on another PC and used the program to create backup image.

I too do not understand why the files can not be read (though they are present on disk). /root and /lost+found directories can't be read as well. the may image was made when disk had reading errors. ok - it gave errors during backup so image might not be good. fine. but the February image was made after I resolved the bug in owncloud. it never gave any errors. and now it gives one upon restore, but the error is only some cat bad pipe error or something like that. while at the same time the bad image from May gives no errors on restore. despite having many during backup

anyway aside from keys and some files handling access (passwords, sudoers, postgreSQL) it looks ok. oh yeah all cron setup files also - errors so at least I can use the old config files which was my biggest worry as I can't remember all the stuff I did. I plan to document it now and I plan to put some sort of monthly backup.

the one thing I am a bit worried is will I be able to mount the RAID 1 array. I guess I will find out, but if not I will nuke it all. too bad it seem I won't have the time to do it this week.

I also plan to checkup all logs for anything suspitions but I did occasionally check the access logs and they don't show anything strange. no logins form outside of LAN also the 22 was closed to outside world since January, but fail2ban was still running and blacklisting (well it didn't add any to blacklist since there were no attempts).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it is important to have good file systems, so I run
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f
    if there is a reason to suspect problems, or maybe even
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -cf
    to engage badblocks. When I have had problems with failing disks (last time my 1 GB disk with mainly a data partition), I have been able to save all files with ddrescue (from the package gddrescue). See Examples 1 and 2 in
    Code:
    info ddrescue
    I have no experience of RAID arrays, but I guess each disk device can be backed up separately, when booted from a separate drive (for example using a Clonezilla live CD/DVD/USB drive). I understand that RAID systems have built in redundancy against logical and physical damage

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-raid.html:

RAID is used to increase the logical capacity of storage devices used, improve read/write performance and ensure redundancy in case of a hard disk failure. All these needs can be addressed by other means, usually more expensive than the RAID configuration of several hard disks. The adjective Inexpensive used in the name is not without a reason.
    but you should not allow the disks to get too bad before replacing them.

Could it be that there were errors on that disk, and another part of the RAID array has been covering up for it? Maybe people with more experience of RAID can explain these things better (or tell us that I'm wrong)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

no, the RAID disks are made for redundancy purpose. in my case they held /data /var/log and /swap (swapiness was reduced), system was on separate disk. so I need to load the system and then only assign it the previous partitions (not format them). so all write stuff was on hard disk, while system disk was a USB flash drive with 5 years warranty & certified for linux. i mean since Rpi is working nicely on SD card.... i am not sure what made 2 sectors on the system disk bad and throw out reading errors and blocked the writing. updates were automated once a week and various writes removed. so the write cycles came nowhere near USB life limit. furthermore disk had about 6 GB free space and it could have easily used other parts of disk. so looks like some component inside it completely failed.

but we did have a power outage and maybe it was some fluctuation that damaged it. who would know.

perhaps I will get a UPS but it's an investment.

fun fact: fsck didn't find any errors on damaged drive. after running it i could do the updates back then, but when I repeated the process (sudo apt-get update) it threw read errors again. i then found a windows program for testing USB drives which showed error on read test. i have not yet performed the write test. i plan to when have the time to see what it will show. write test destroys all data on that disk.
    Last edited by mastablasta; June 2nd, 2015 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is hard to find out exactly what causes a hardware damage, but a power outage is certainly a 'good' candidate.

Please tell us what USB flash drive with 5 years warranty you are using!

Good luck with the write test

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The flash drive is Kingston DataTraveler G4 8 GB (now we also got another 16 GB version). It's a USB 3.0 drive (fully compatible with USB 2.0) with 5 year warranty. and they claim to support it with spare parts 3 year after the warranty period expires.

the drive is nothing special though it was graded good on reviews. It also has specifically stated it supports Linux form kernel 2.6 onwards or something like that.

as i read Ext4 can cause drive to brick if it is a cheap low quality drive that has low number of writes. however this drive is nothing special in price segment. and the article that has this info is 2 years old now.

I am checking some other options for this server that has only USB plugs - one would be USB drive, SSD drive (i am not really sold on it for server OS) or normal hard drive inside the CD drive area. however they are more costly. I can get 10 of these USB drive for one of those . plus the way internal sata plug is made is kind of strange - it runs at IDE speed. though 3rd party BIOS supposedly can get it sataa speed. another option is PCI sata card. maybe later and I can stuff more 2.5" disks into that 5" CD drive space.

and USB drive works very well otherwise as system disk. I didn't really notice it being extra slow or anything. ok normal hard disk or SSD would be faster but in this use the difference is maybe not so big that is worth the cost. HDD via USB makers little sense (apart from write cycles) as the speed would be same as on USB flash drive (the bottle neck is USB 2.0 plug).

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 (32 GB), that has been reliable for me (but not as fast as another USB 3.0 pendrive, Sandisk Extreme). But any drive can fail, even an enterprice class HDD. I think pendrives fail mainly when they write data, not when they read data, or if they get too hot, so I agree that it should work with the operating system in a pendrive, if you avoid unnecessary writing.

But an HDD or an SSD in a USB or eSATA external box (enclosure with good cooling at least for the HDD) might be a good alternative with a longer expected lifetime, however more expensive. You can wear out many USB pendrives for the same cost as one HDD or SSD, so it depends how important it is to keep the server running for years without a failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12