Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your choice cloud services?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What are your choice cloud services?

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanch View Post
    I remember trying UbuntuOne, but I didn't do much with it.
    I've never heard of owncloud though. How does it compare to the better known ones like Docs and Dropbox?
    i have not used docs or drop box
    i have my raspberry pi doing other stuff than just owncloud, for example i have a toggle switch hooked upto it to turn mp3 playback on/off (i figured if i have it syncing my music i may as well use it to play it)
    i also made a html5 web based music player so i can stream my library to any device
    it also controls a automated keyboard light for my desktop and has a tells me my room temp

for sharing files i just put them in a temporary folder on my desktop and link to them, if i need something long term i use mediafire
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I have google drive, box.com, dropbox, and mega.co.nz accounts. Combined, it's well over 100GB of free cloud storage (I don't pay anything for any of these services, never have).

Funny thing is, I really only use google drive, and barely because I basically use it for storing backups of my important documents (I mainly use an external hard drive or microSD cards for backups).

It is convenient as a small backup solution considering I'm so integrated with the google world (I have an android phone as well).

Once in a while I'll use it for sharing something with a friend or relative (by sending public download links).

My other cloud services have nothing in them, they just kinda sit there. I've been meaning to put important documents in all of them so as to not rely on one particular service, I'll probably get around to that eventually. If you're curious, yes I do encrypt my important documents before I put them up on cloud services. I just simply zip the folder up usually in the 7z format and place a password on it (which is a AES-256 password).

Beans

Google drive is the best choice for me, can i access to all my files from pc, phone, tablet ecc.. without problems. I find it a fantastic service and has a lot of free storage that many others would make you pay.
    Last edited by Francesco_Verlato; May 27th, 2015 at 09:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cool Re: What are your choice cloud services?

Well, Francesco has nailed it.
    But some tidbits. Google Drive, after you have installed the APP on your Android phone, is directly linked to Drive, and it appears instantly on your Google Mail account.
    That said, be careful, don't lose your phone. Drive is too easily accessible.
    And, you can nudge up your storage volume. by slowly adding info. Then deleting a little, and on... To Drive.
    I'm now at 15G but only use 3G. Watch Google g+ , it aggressively copies and duplicates things like photos *(fotos)
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Amend that to "don't lose your phone, pin-protect it, and use Android Device Manager to lock or nuke it if you do lose it." But that's kinda normal, right?
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

I have 50ish gb in dropbox. Currently using it to keep things like vacation photos, music and some school work. It's convenient and I got it free through a promotion but will be looking at an external drive instead of having stuff on the cloud. It's nice because I don't have to worry if I crash my computer or where I am. There is always a way to access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Machines where you have the Dropbox client installed sync actively with every change you make in the Dropbox folder. So no, you don't have to take any steps to update to and from the cloud. Basically, on a machine you own, you're working with local files all the time, and they're silently and immediately mirrored to the cloud as you make changes to them (the files are, as I understand it, tunneled but not encrypted, but this allows Dropbox to use delta changes.) You'd normally only open the web client on a machine you don't own, because you need to print this or that thing or give a presentation and so on.

And yeah, it's a very officeworky tool.

What makes it really usable is the dependability of the updating. It's very rare that I trick it into creating a file conflict copy of something (and when it does, of course, both versions are still there) by, say, saving different versions of a document on two different machines at once or something. The Dropbox daemon monitors writes to the local folder and updates to the web storage at all times. I tried using Ubuntu One while it was a thing, and it just wasn't comparable - it wasn't as smart and quick. Where I can save a smallish document on one machine and have it show up on another almost immediately with Dropbox, that wasn't possible with U1.

And like I said, to me at least, Docs and Dropbox solve two different problems. Obviously, you can use Drive for more than just documents, and there are local syncing tools for it that emulate something like Dropbox. But Drive is still driven almost entirely through the browser, where Dropbox is first and foremost a sync daemon (and mobile app.) And the Docs files themselves are in Google's own document format and can't be edited with local tools. At the same time, Docs' handling of sharing and permissions, simultaneous editing by multiple users, and so on along with the simplicity of the Docs interface and the fluidity between the desktop web app and the mobile app are all totally unparalleled.

So if you're already using Docs and you just want a way to back up or make accessible some other files that don't happen to be documents, Drive is very good at those things. Docs itself is a tool that Dropbox doesn't have anything comparable with, while Drive doesn't have the local integration that Dropbox does and largely requires you to work through webapps, where Dropbox is about synchronizing and backing up local data to be used with local applications.
    It seems like Dropbox is more like what I imagine cloud services being rather than Drive (drive still has its uses though). I'm probably going to spend some time with it. Does it work as you say in both Ubuntu and Windows?

Beans

I use OneDrive/Box. The two combined give me 25 GB of cloud storage, which is more than enough for my needs. I've looked at Mega Cloud but despite the generous 50GB for free, I found it too limited. My interests for the cloud stems from being able to listen to Mp3 songs, videos, edit documents and read pdf files all in a web app and anywhere I want but Mega can't do any of that.

As for Dropbox.. 2GB... I mean come one.
    Last edited by night_sky2; May 27th, 2015 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanch View Post
    It seems like Dropbox is more like what I imagine cloud services being rather than Drive (drive still has its uses though). I'm probably going to spend some time with it. Does it work as you say in both Ubuntu and Windows?
    Yes. Windows, Linux and OS X.

As someone who uses three computers regularly, services like Dropbox are invaluable because they will sync anything. For example, I keep my keypass database, homebank data file and zim notebooks in Dropbox so the files are always available and synced regardless of which device I'm using. It is true that Dropbox's free storage is paltry (although it's easy to get it up to 5 GB if you have a smartphone), but the client is relatively lightweight and their sync is bulletproof. I've been using Dropbox for several years and have never lost data or had a failed sync. There are certainly things not to like about them (their security practices are a bit sketchy, for example), but in my opinion they're currently the best cloud sync service.
    Last edited by PhilGil; May 27th, 2015 at 03:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I use dropbox, I have never had a problem with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast