Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu so buggy these days?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu so buggy these days?

Reboot and run memtest86 from the grub menu. Let it run overnight at a minimum.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Hi,
    Sorry I've been a bit slow in responding.. first of all, I don't know how to get to grub menu in order to run memtest86+ as the Shift key didn't work on ubuntu 15.04... then I found out I had to do this http://askubuntu.com/questions/12616...-the-grub-menu

Finally I saw the menu comes up when booting and there are 2 options relating to memtest in the menu. Pressing on either one of them does nothing. It just gave me a purple/pink colour screen with nothing else.

So please show me how to run memtest86. The flickering screen just happened again 2 hours ago... so really need to solve it somehow...

Thanks & regards
    Thinh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I honestly don't know what to say about that, possibly a virus on your computer (if you dual boot) or something wrong with your RAM/Hard drive. If you can try running the Ubuntu live cd and look around your local file system. You may need to format and reinstall if it pertains to be a problem.

Beans

No, I don't have any dual boot. Screen flickering just happened again... and I am thinking of installing mint over ubuntu...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

let us see how it has been installed
    sudo blkid

Beans

sudo blkid

/dev/sda1: UUID="D829-E688" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="d44bf364-32e4-4c0d-9de0-d5bd95dff6c2"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="50d536c2-5e07-4a7a-a29e-e979c7dee386" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="e1b89146-ba1c-4a61-be42-62ea425172a3"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="9784af20-476a-4389-a206-0f575b450aba" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="9d9c6b0c-1843-4475-9e5f-45abbd60d874"

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thinh4 View Post
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have 12G of RAM. And I am using DP instead of HDMI or VGA.. I had dual monitors..but I took one off recently because of the flickering issues.. I have 1T disk space.. and only installed less than 50G worth of stuff... this morning when I tried df -h . it showed that 100% usage for "/". As I said, I restarted the box.. and it went away... so main issue now is the flickering screen. Touch wood, it has not happened today yet.

Thanks & regards
    Thinh
    It's good you have so much ram, but have you run a memory test on it? When you restart your computer, you should be able to bring up the grub boot menu by holding down shift. Then you can run the built in memtest.

Edit: apparently I didn't see the entire second page of posts.

I believe you can boot from the CD you used to install Ubuntu and then run memtest off of that. Also, if it won't run memtest from the drive booting Ubuntu, there may be a problem with your installation. I believe you said this was your second version of Ubuntu you installed? Perhaps you have a hard drive problem. Its not free, but Spinrite is great for detecting and correcting hard drive problems. Maybe some of the other people on this forum can suggest some free tools you can use to check your HDD.
    Last edited by Richard_Romick; May 30th, 2015 at 07:20 PM.

Beans

I went and bought a cheap graphics card... tried it for the last couple of days... haven't seen any issues yet.. so hopefully it did fix the problem for good.. thank you all for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12