Thread: De-duplicate files.

Beans

De-duplicate files.

Hi,

Trying to de-duplicate files. I need recommendations on software and technique to do this.

In a large part these are multimedia files:
    1. Music scanned from my CD collection
      1. Yes, I'm an old guy. I have never bought or downloaded music online, all this comes from physical CDs. I have all the originals in boxes in my basement.
      2. There are thousands of songs, not counting duplicates. This is just from looking at the stacks of boxes of music in my basement.
      3. Some of this is duplicated through syncing between the phone and the computer, and I've found as many as 10 copies of some songs.
        1. some_band_some_song
        2. some_band_some_song-2
        3. some_band_some_song-3
        4. some_other_name_for_the_same_song
        5. some_other_bitrate_for_the_same_song

4. They were all pulled from a CD directly, which in my understanding means the files may not be binary identical.
      5. Some songs are at a higher bitrate than the others. I want the higher bitrate song.

2. Pictures and video from phones and cameras.
    3. There are no copyrighted videos involved.

So here's what I want:
    1. Music:
      1. I'd like to de-duplicate songs first to remove all binary identical files, WITHOUT a hard link or symbolic link. Just get rid of them.
      2. Re-scan, if possible, to remove inferior bitrate songs where there are better quality versions.
      3. I'd then like to standardize the names on artist/album/track-song or something like that, but not really sure how to at this point.

2. Pictures:
      1. de-duplicated based on binary content, and moved to an organized place (folders) based on original date/time of the oldest copy.
      2. There is very little cropping/editing of video or pictures, and if any of that happens I want to keep both pieces.

3. Other files:
      1. I guess these are going to be a lot like pictures in terms of process.

I found this link, but not sure how good it is: http://xmodulo.com/dupeguru-deduplic...les-linux.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: De-duplicate files.

There is a program in the repos called rdfind. I have never used it, but it might be what you're looking for.