Thread: is it possible to replicate video setup from lubuntu 14.04 to mint 17.1 xfce?

Beans

is it possible to replicate video setup from lubuntu 14.04 to mint 17.1 xfce?

basically, mint 17.1 xfce is my main installation in which i got most everything working, save for video playback. whether im playing video on my laptop or hdtv, there is varying degrees of video tearing. i also have lubuntu 14.04 installed on a separate hd in the same laptop, and video plays back more or less flawlessly out of the box with gnome mplayer.

i have tried updating my bios, using the latest 3.13/3.16 kernels, and the myriad of video output drivers, to no avail. so now, i am wondering, if there is any way that i can install and use all packages/codecs/drivers/etc etc that are used by default in my lubuntu installation, in my mint installation. i thought this might be feasible given that mint 17.1 is based off ubuntu 14.04. but would there be issues because one uses lxde, as opposed to xfce?

my apologies if this is a dumb question. linux noob over here.

Beans

Re: is it possible to replicate video setup from lubuntu 14.04 to mint 17.1 xfce?

Hard to say without knowing what hardware and video drivers are involved, but lxde runs faster than xfce so you may be getting better video performance just from that.

Have you tried turning off all video effects/compositing in xfce?